8 Things to Do When Your Friends Visit Pitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Having trouble coming up with ideas to entertain your friends when they visit? Worry no more! Here is a list of eight cost-efficient things to do, even if Mother Nature has no chill.

1. Give them a tour of campus

Our campus is gorgeous (I’m talking about you, Cathy), and we love showing it off – to everyone. You can do this all in one shot by going to the 36th floor of Cathy and experience the breathtaking view of the city (side note: if your friends don’t immediately start freaking out when they see Cathy, you might want to reconsider your life choices). If they’re open, go inside the Nationality Rooms. You might even be able to hitch a ride with a tour group.

2. Walk through Schenley Park

Follow the hiking trails through Schenley Park and find yourself in a completely different place. As someone who is from a rural area, I find the wooded areas calming and relaxing. Plus, it always feels like an adventure. If you’re not up for the exercise, take a blanket and just hang out on the hill. The view of Cathy is amazing and it’s a nice separation from the city.

3. Ride the Duquesne Incline

Pitt students can ride the incline for free, but it’s only $5 for a round trip, so the incline is a cheap for friends, too, and it’s a unique way to experience the city. Along with a rich history, it is simply a fun ride. I recommend going at night when everything is lit up. The city looks magical, and your friends will become enchanted by its beauty just like we all were (and still are).

4. Go to a movie

There are a bunch of new movies coming into theaters. The two main movie theaters are South Side Works Cinema and AMC Loews at the Waterfront. The ride to South Side Works is shorter than the ride to the Waterfront, but the ticket prices vary depending on the time. Compare the two before you choose. Both have decent ticket prices, especially if you go to a matinee.

5. Visit the Carnegie Museum

The Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History are free for Pitt students, but they’re always having special offers for discounted admission. If you go after 3pm, it’s 50% off, which is only about $6 for other college students. (They also offer AAA and military discounts.) If you think art or history is boring, this museum will change your mind.

6. Go to Late Night Fuel & Fuddle

From 11pm-1am every night, Fuel & Fuddle offers a $5 late night menu (with $2.50 sides). Craving a burger at midnight? Take your friends to the matchless Fuel & Fuddle experience. Don’t forget the sweet potato fries!

7. Make microwavable snacks

Microwavable snacks are a huge hit with college students because those of us living in dorms don’t have ovens, and are therefore stuck eating the same bland foods every day. If you search for “microwavable snacks,” tons of articles and Pinterest pages will appear with a variety of choices. Pick what sounds the most enticing and get “baking.” So what if it turns out a mess? Food is food.

8. Take a nap

We all know this is what we’d really rather be doing, so why not? After all, friends who nap together, stay together.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Sophomore at Pitt studying Communication Science and Disorders, with a leaning towards speech pathology. This is my first year with Her Campus, and I am excited to see what it will bring!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt