7 Ways to Plan a Spring Break Trip Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

With midterms piling up, spring break offers a much awaited rest. You may notice people treating themselves to lavish trips to the beach and foreign countries. It may seem like a great way to get away from the textbooks and stress, but what if you can’t afford to go on spring break? No worries! There are plenty of ways to save money and still get away for a few days.

1. Take a road trip.

Don’t waste your money on expensive plane tickets if you don’t have to— Pile in your friend’s car, take the Greyhound or look into the price of renting a car! Many places allow you to rent if you’re over 21 and pay an under 25 fee, and if you have a full car, splitting the fee between passengers is still cheaper than a bus ticket. The ride may be longer, but it certainly will be worth the money.

2. Stay close to home.

To lower the cost of gas or to make a drive more bearable, consider driving somewhere close to home. Maybe visit a local beach or lake instead of going all the way to Florida. Or instead of the beach, travel to a nearby city. For example, I’m from Pittsburgh, and this break I planned a trip to Toronto, which is only a five hour drive.

3. Utilize Airbnb to the fullest.

Hotels are probably one of the most expensive aspects of a trip. However, Airbnb helps lower that cost by a ton. The key is to read the reviews to make sure the place you’re staying is safe and worth your while. If you’re really looking to save a dime, many places offer multiple beds and futons jammed into a studio apartment, so you can get more people in one sleeping space to split the cost. Besides, if your goal is to see the sights, you’ll probably only be at your Airbnb to sleep anyway.

4. Split a house with a ton of people.

This is basic math. While it may be harder to find more people to go with you, you can probably save some money splitting a four bedroom house with eight people sharing some beds. Or book an even smaller house and bring air mattresses with you!

5. Stay at a friend’s or relative’s place.

One of the best parts of being in college is making friends from all over the country. If you have a friend in NYC, stay at their place! If your friend has a relative who owns a beach house in North Carolina, see if you can stay with them! That’s even cheaper than paying for an Airbnb.

6. Bring your own food.

Food can add up. As nice as it is visiting restaurants in the area, consider bringing groceries with you, so you can make more home-cooked meals. Especially if you’re going somewhere where groceries are more expensive, bringing your own is a no-brainer.

7. Only go away for a few days.

As exciting as it would be to go away for the whole week, sometimes it’s just too expensive. The less days you’re away, the less you pay for food and accommodations. If you’re especially tight on cash, consider going just for a weekend trip or for a few days. That way you’re still traveling without breaking the bank.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt