This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Ah, summer. I’m sure we can all agree that everyone is eagerly awaiting the days of relaxing in the sun and the freedom that can only be achieved after walking out of your last final of the semester. Well, those days are almost here, but we can’t forget that with them, will come the days of burnt and peeling skin. So here are a few tips to keep your skin healthy and glowing all summer long.

1. Drink lots of water

Now this one may seem obvious, but that’s because it is! Our bodies are made up of mostly water, so we have to be extra careful in the summer by staying hydrated and giving our bodies what they need to stay smooth and glowing.

2. Wear SPF everyday

Again, kind of an obvious one, but it is so, so important. You should be wearing an SPF of at least 30 every single day. It doesn’t matter if you are going to the beach or just going to work. If you are going outside, you need some sort of SPF. I find this easiest to do by simply using a moisturizer that has SPF in it already.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliating before applying any lotions or moisturizers will really help seal in the moisture from whatever you’re using. It also will get rid of dead skin cells, leaving behind super soft skin instead.

4. Use anti-aging products

Of course, everyone is after that warm tan in the summer. However, a tan is a sign of sun damage. To combat this, invest in some sort of anti-aging product. Now there is an anti-aging product for practically every part of your body, and they come in all different forms, so you can definitely find the one that works best for you. If you’re new to the game, I would recommend some type of anti-aging face cream or serum.

5. Don’t get lazy with the sunscreen

We all know that we need to be applying sunscreen in the summer. However, I don’t know a single person who hasn’t gotten lazy about it before. Sunscreen should be applied about 30 minutes before sun exposure—something I’m sure none of us plan out (myself included). So, if you’re like me and can’t plan ahead, make sure you are reapplying every 90 minutes. Trust me, you will thank yourself later.

6. Switch out that razor

If you’re like me and like to have your skin as smooth as possible without breaking the bank, shaving, unfortunately, comes with the territory. Make sure you are switching out your razor every week or two. This will help your skin by always using a sharp razor blade instead of causing irritation with a dull one. Also, NEVER shave dry. You are only going to end up irritating your skin and that is the opposite of what you want.

7. Try minimal makeup looks (or go without)

I know for some of you, this may sound terrifying, but I promise, it will be worth it in the long run. The less you are clogging your pores with, the more your skin will thank you. Even just switching from a foundation to a tinted moisturizer can make a big difference.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Hi there! I'm Abbie and I am double majoring in non-fiction writing and communications at the University of Pittsburgh. My passions include napping and napping some more. On the off chance that I'm not napping, I'm probably somewhere in the library or chilling out with friends.
Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.