stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 New Year’s Resolutions You Can Actually Accomplish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Ring in the New Year this year with a break from the same old same old. Sometimes making a New Year’s Resolution can be a recipe for making excuses and convincing yourself that your old habits aren’t actually all that bad to get rid of. Well, not this time! Let’s make a pact to make 2014 a time for a refreshing new start of a healthier and happier enhanced you. Usually our problem isn’t the actual process of coming up with a goal for the New Year, but following through and making it happen. It can be tricky to start off with a better habit than you’re used to, but there are a few simple steps to take to help you get started and actually maintain your goals. Here are seven obtainable resolutions and how you can achieve them–you’ll be kicking yourself for not trying them out sooner!

1. Live a healthier lifestyle. There are infinite ways to achieve this resolution, and for me the first place to start is how I eat. If you’re feeling yourself slip away from being a conscious eater and instead just always grabbing what’s in front of you no matter how unhealthy, listen up. Start ruling out which foods are high in fat at the dining halls and remind yourself to stay away from that section. Keep fruits in your fridge rather than chocolate on your counter (if it’s not around, you won’t eat it!). When it comes to snacking throughout the day, pick yogurt or hummus and pretzels instead of Cheetos. Remember: everything is done best in moderation. Then, encourage friends to take an exercise class with you. Doing workouts with friends can be much more effective since you can all push each other, and maybe even get competitive! Walk at least 30 minutes a day, which is easy to do if you tell yourself to stay off that campus bus. Keep your Netflix binges to a minimum. Exercising and eating right will also improve your mental health, making you glow with the excitement that hey, you just got closer to your goals!

2. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful for the family, friends, and opportunities that you have been given. This New Year’s Resolution is easy to achieve but is one of the most rewarding. I always make a point to write hand-written notes to my family and friends when I want to let them know they are appreciated. Give a quick phone call to that old friend you’ve had since you were three. Skype a family member who didn’t get to make it up to your holiday party. Then, make a list of everything you are thankful for. It will help you realize how lucky you are and will definitely put a spin on any negative mood you were in.

3. Spend less. It can be tough being a college student with so much on your plate already; with schoolwork and extracurriculars, the last thing on your mind right now is when you can find time to work. Being a broke college kid definitely has its downfalls, but it challenges us to be more careful with our spending. After recently dropping up to hundreds of our hard earned dollars on textbooks and all of the holiday shopping, our bank accounts can finally take a breather. Spring semester is the perfect time to start budgeting your money right and plan out purchases rather than spontaneously buying that must-have dress you saw on Instagram. Your friends want to take a trip to the mall? Of course you have to go! But this time make it a window-shopping trip and wait until those shoes go on sale. Got a date night coming up? Make it a romantic night in with a movie and a nice cup of hot chocolate instead of an expensive dinner out. Just ask yourself the next time you want to buy something: Do I really need this? Will this make me happy a month from now? How often am I actually going to wear this? Stay aware of your bank account this semester and maybe you’ll even save up enough for a road trip over the summer!

4. Smile more. Cheer up, buttercup! Make 2014 the year of the less stressed, more positive you. Take time for yourself to unwind and reflect on all the things to be happy and excited about again. I find that the more I actually physically make myself smile, the happier my day will be. Do things that will benefit your outlook on the new semester. Take a yoga class to keep calm before the fury of midterms and finals suck you in. Start a new hobby like scrapbooking or singing in a choir. Keeping your schedule busy will open up new doors of opportunity to build new relationships, stand out on a resume, and create a more successful future. How’s that for something to smile about?

5. Improve your grades. To go off of the last point, it’s time to plan your day out so you can achieve a GPA to brag about this semester. Organizing your time is the key to building better study habits. Keep a planner with brackets of time to study for each class so you won’t stress yourself out when you forgot to study for an upcoming exam or waited until the last minute to start a project. Get a group of classmates together and meet at the library before a quiz. Sharing ideas and teaching each other concepts is the absolute best way to study (in my opinion). Always seek help if, for example, writing isn’t your strong point and you have a big essay coming up. The beauty of college is all of the resources we have at our fingertips. There will always be a tutor willing to read over your rough drafts and give advice, and your own professor is just an email away to answer any pressing questions. Making grades a top priority will be a sure-fire win for the New Year and will help your habits improve in the long run!

6. Help others. This is always one of my favorite New Year’s Resolutions. It can definitely be one of the most fun and is attainable in infinite ways. When it comes to donating your time to a worthy cause, you want to remember that this doesn’t always mean throwing money in every direction each time some organization asks for donations (remember resolution #3). There are many other ways you can make a difference in someone’s life. As the new Community Service Chair for my sorority, I’ve been researching and discovering new ways to give back and help out those who aren’t as fortunate (and again, remember resolution #2!). It’s super easy to hop on a laptop and look into local charities who are seeking out individuals or groups just like us. There are tons of soup kitchens open 365 days a year, so they definitely could use the help. Any nearby animal shelter would love to receive a donation box full of blankets for the animals, treats, and other pet supplies. If you love children, look into an after school program that is looking for college students to help tutor the kids, play games with them, or even just to be there as a new friend. Donate your time this year and make an impact on another’s life.

7. Have fun! The most important thing to remember after all of the hard work you’ve already put into your college career is that you want to be able to look back and have no regrets. There is such a thing as all work and no play. Well, it’s time to balance that out a little bit. After all of your planning and organizing to work on your goal to improve your grades, take a spontaneous and free trip downtown and just explore the cultural district with a group of close friends. Go to a Pitt Arts sponsored show at Heinz Hall for an amazing performance done by the Pittsburgh Orchestra. Start trying out new things and make time for yourself to enjoy life. Take advantage of all the opportunities you have at college, and encourage others to share them with you. Make 2014 a year you’ll never forget!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt