6 Ways to Pamper Yourself Before, During, and After Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Spring semester is stressful. January and February are the last brutal months of winter. Midterms follow closely behind, making spring break seem 1000 years away. Everyone is cold, sleep-deprived, and ready to lose their minds. In times like these, self-care is important – not only to keep you sane but also to keep you healthy. As much as we would like to go at 100 percent 24/7, it’s just not possible. So put down the textbook, the laptop, the Red Bull, and treat yourself without leaving your dorm room.

Better than average manicure: Keep your hands looking soft and pretty as you type away!

1. Fill a bowl with hot – not scorching – water and soak your hands for 3-4 minutes.

2. Pat your hands dry and coat them in lotion. Massage your fingers, wrists, and knuckles as you rub the lotion in. Coat them in one more layer of lotion and put a clean pair of socks on them. This lets the lotion absorb while letting you still kind of use your hands.

3. Clip and shape your nails – including hang-nails – then paint them a pretty color.

The chocolate face mask: Bring the Hershey spa to your dorm room!

1. Mix plain yogurt, honey, and cocoa powder into a paste. NOTE: use only plain yogurt. Flavored yogurts have added sugars and extracts that are not good for your skin.

2. Pull your hair back with a headband and apply the mask all over your face, except your eyes and lips. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.

3. Rinse the mask off with warm water and pat your face dry.

Ye Olde Oatmeal Masks

1. Mix plain oatmeal, honey and plain yogurt OR plain oatmeal, milk, and a mashed banana into a paste.

2. Apply the mask all over your face, except for the eyes and lips. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes.

3. Rinse the mask off with warm water and pat your face dry. If you used the first mask, you may want to apply a moisturizer afterwards if your skin feels tight.

The teabag-on-the-eyes trick: Give your eyes a tea break while preventing styes and soothing redness

1. Brew yourself some chamomile OR green tea. Use two tea bags.

2. Let the tea bags cool – preferably while you enjoy the tea and listen to some calm music.

3. Place one cooled tea bag on each eye. Keep them in place for 5-10 minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day, especially if you are staring a computer screen for long hours.

Massage Trains: Study with friends? Here’s a 10 minute study break to work out all the kinks

1. Form a circle – or a line if you only have a few people – so everyone is facing someone else’s back.

2. Set a timer for five minutes. Give the person in front of you a good, deep back massage. When the timer goes off, reset it, turn around (the person who was behind you should now be in front of you), and repeat.

Be your own barista!

This is super easy. Make yourself your favorite drink or pick one from the list below! Have a sweet treat without having to wait in a crazy-long line at Starbucks.

1. The London Fog

2. Easy Iced Coffee

3. Fancy Hot Chocolate

Now take a shower, take a chill pill, and rest up! Your body and brain will thank you!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt