Pigeon Bagels in Pittsburgh
Pigeon Bagels in Pittsburgh
Original photo by Julia Caterino
Life > Experiences

5 Small Businesses to Support in Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Shopping at small businesses is one of the best ways to support the Pittsburgh community. I know it can be easier (and sometimes much cheaper) to shop at large chains. If you’re able to financially, shopping at small businesses makes a huge difference, even if it’s just once in a while! Pittsburgh is full of thriving small businesses, so I thought I’d list a few of my favorites from coffee and bagels to some niche hobbies.

1. Songbird Artistry

đź“Ť4316 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15224

Whether you’re looking for locally crafted jewelry, skin care, gifts for the holidays, home décor, or even goodies for your pets, Songbird Artistry has it all. They carry so many different items from a collection of Pittsburgh artisans. The owners are some of the sweetest women ever! You can shop online or go to their adorable store in person.

Photo Credits: Songbird Artistry (@songbirdartistry on Instagram)

2. Pigeon Bagels

đź“Ť5613 Hobart St, Pittsburgh, PA 15217

Pigeon is hands down the best bagel you will find in Pittsburgh. There’s truly nothing better on a weekend morning! Pigeon Bagels is a kosher bakery just a short bus ride away in Squirrel Hill. Make sure you get a headstart early in the morning because the line will be long, rain or shine! I highly recommend their sesame bagel with herb schmear, easily a 10/10 order!

Photo Credits: Alison and Sara (@lesbianlunchers on Instagram)

3. White Whale Books & Coffee

đź“Ť4754 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15224

White Whale is my all-time favorite bookstore to visit in Pittsburgh. And good news: their café is now officially open! 🥳 White Whale often hosts events for the Bloomfield community featuring local authors. The staff is always so helpful, and now that the café is open, I will be spending lots of time there doing homework (and dropping all my money on new books). You can support their store by shopping online or visiting in person!

Photo Credits: White Whale Books & Coffee (@whitewhalebks on Instagram)

4. Delanie’s Coffee

đź“Ť1737 E Carson St, Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Delanie’s is one of my favorite small coffee shops to support. Not only is it a great place to get some studying done, it’s also a great meeting place for the South Side community. Its location is super convenient for Pitt students and the staff are always so sweet. They also feature local artists in their décor! Along with Delanie’s, some other small coffee shops in Pittsburgh can be found here.

Photo Credits: Delanie’s Coffee (@delaniescoffee on Instagram)

5. Mix Candle Co.

đź“Ť4409 Butler St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201

Mix is a unique candle-making experience that can be found in Lawrenceville. If you’re as obsessed with candles as I am, you’re going to love this place. It’s super easy to make a reservation with a friend, or even make it a group activity. I’m constantly burning through all my candles (for legal reasons Pitt, that was a joke 🙂). At Mix you’re able to choose your own scents and make a personalized candle depending on your favorite fragrances.

Photo Credits: Mix Candle Co. (@mixcandleco on Instagram)

Happy shopping!

Julia is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh studying Media and Professional Communications with a minor in Gender, Sexuality, & Women's Studies. She loves to go thrifting, grab a coffee with friends, and go on walks with her dog!