5 Simple Snacks To Get You Through The Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’re like me, you have some pretty lengthy days on campus. You’re also probably approaching that point in the semester where you are 1) feeling burnt out, 2) turning in midterms and projects like it’s nobody’s business, 3) lacking in the money department, and 4) always hungry (If none of these apply to you, please tell me your secret!). Thus, we need some serious snacks to keep us going on days we have five hours of classes, an exam, a paper due, and a full night at the library. We need substantial foods to eat on the go that prevent us from crashing, but doing this all without a microwave or refrigerator poses a huge difficulty. Thankfully this is one that can be easily avoided with some simple preparation. And did I mention that we’re sick of hearing, “Eat a handful of almonds” or, maybe that’s just me.

1. Apples, Bananas, and Peanut Butter

This combo is one of my staple snacks, especially when I’m in a rush. I always keep them in the house (or you can steal them from Market…) because they are the best when I don’t have time to eat, but I am beyond hunger. Eat the apple first because your body processes it much faster than the banana and the peanut butter. It also might be just enough to satiate your hunger until class is over. Wait a bit, and then follow up with a banana that you’ve cut into pieces and spread the peanut butter on (or be lazy like me and just take a bite of banana, then spoon a large amount of peanut butter into your mouth). Make sure you buy natural peanut butter that isn’t laden with sugar, which kind of defeats the purpose of healthy snacking. This is great for days you’re lacking creativity and don’t have time to really pack food.

2. Prunes

This is not a joke. I know they are advertised for old women, and aren’t the most exciting dried fruit on the planet, but they have the fiber you need to stay full (and are much quieter to eat than chomping into an apple in the middle of a two-hour lecture). They also have some natural sweetness, which won’t satisfy that chocolate craving, but will trick your body into feeling more replete when you’ve spent all your Panther Funds on Kit Kats and those amazing (yet expensive) brownie bites at Quick Zone.

3. Hummus with Carrots and Pita Chips

I could eat this stuff all day. Hummus has tons of protein since it’s mostly chickpeas. Carrots give you the essential vitamins and satisfying crunch you need, and pita chips (or pretzels) will help fill you up. It also takes nearly no preparatory work for those of us who always wake up late for our morning classes.

4. The Desperation Bar

Nope, this isn’t a new bar in Oakland. It is a protein bar that you always have in your purse or backpack for the moments you start feeling like you’re trapped on a desert island because you don’t have money to buy a real meal. I personally like Larabars and Clif Bars because they are simple and delicious. Get one that is dense and protein-packed to make sure it keeps you going until the end of the day.

5. Water

They put those fancy hydration stations in the Cathedral and Hillman for a reason! Keep your water bottle full–get your hands on a reusable one while you’re at it–and make sure you’re hydrated before you get desperate enough to run your bank account red just to buy a Snickers bar. Most of the time when you think you’re hungry, you may be just bored or dehydrated. So chug some water and watch cat videos on YouTube if that’s what it takes to stay entertained and stave those fake hunger pangs.

None of these take much time to prepare (you’re welcome), they’re all portable and easy to eat in between classes, and it’s enough variety to get you through the day. I keep all of these with me on my long days and they seem to serve me well. So I hope they can assist you in the upcoming hectic weeks before Thanksgiving and (oh no) finals!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

I am a junior at Pitt and I study literature and nonfiction writing, but my background is in chemistry and biology. I enjoy doing adventurous things that make me uncomfortable and scared (i.e., rock climbing, caving, walking through South Oakland). Otherwise, you will find me in my house either reading or talking about my tuxedo cat, Spooky.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt