Wellness

4 Steps to Dealing with Chronic Illness in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Your first year of college can bring all sorts of challenges and unknown obstacles. However, entering college with a chronic illness can bring even more obstacles to overcome than the average student. It’s difficult to estimate the exact number of college students in the U.S. that live with chronic illness, but just know that you’re not alone. Figuring out how to manage your chronic illness in college can be difficult, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. There are a few steps you can take to help ensure that your experience is as positive as possible.

1. Take your medications

This seems obvious, and yet, it’s so easy to ignore this step. Depending on what your chronic illness is, you may be prescribed any number of medications. It’s important to take them, no matter how troublesome it may seem. Set an alarm, write down a reminder or have a friend remind you if their willing. Do whatever you have to do to remember to take your medication because it makes a world of difference when you consistently take your meds. In addition to taking your medications, make sure that you’re following any other aspects of your treatment plan that you and your doctor have developed.

2. Make the university aware

Another important step to take if you have a disability is to make the university aware of your condition. The Office of Disability Resources and Services webpage offers many resources for students, including a link to their online application for disability services. Even if you don’t think you need any accommodations for your illness, it’s important to make the university aware that you have a pressing health issue. It’s also important to alert your RA and your professors of whatever your disability is so that they’re aware in case of an emergency.

3. Make your friends aware

If you struggle with a disability of any kind, then you need a support system. Making friends in college is hard, and it’s even harder when you have to have to have “the talk” with them. You know, the “I have a disability” talk. Despite this, it’s important that you have this talk with your new friends. If you have a health issue related to your illness, then those around you need to be aware so that you get what you need in that moment. If your friends don’t know, then they can’t help you. If you’re worried about your disability getting in the way of your friendship with someone, then just know that you probably wouldn’t want to be friends with that person anyway. Living with a disability is harder than you may realize at times, and it becomes a lot more difficult if your friends aren’t supportive. Unsympathetic people aren’t worth your time.

4. Do what’s best for you

This step is broad, but that’s because the kinds of disabilities people have vary so broadly. A person with a mental handicap needs different things than a person with a physical one. Self-care is important for everyone, but it becomes even more important when you have a disability that can become significantly impacted by a lack of awareness. Take the time to learn about your body and how it works. Don’t be afraid to say no to social gatherings of any kind if you think that it may impact your health. Drawing boundaries between what you can and can’t do or what you do or don’t want to do is important. This goes for anyone in college, not just people with disabilities. That being said, those of us with a chronic illness tend to have a lot more on the line.

Freshman year in college is hard for everyone, and having a chronic illness can make the transition into college much harder. Taking the necessary precautions with your disability will make a world of difference, and hopefully make that transition easier. Remember, your illness doesn’t make you any less of a person, and it certainly shouldn’t get in the way of your college experience. Self-love is key.

Photo Credit: cover

Sarah is a sophomore at Pitt majoring in English and political science with a minor in film. She is originally from Center Valley, Pennsylvania. In her free time, she enjoys playing with her pets, reading, and going hiking. Sarah is interested in pursuing a cottage core dream in the future.
Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!