This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Everyone knows of horror movies. The classic slasher films like Friday the 13th and Scream. Or there are the supernatural horror films like The Conjuring and Insidious. However, for those looking to maintain the scares and screams for longer than just one sitting, a horror movie might not be the way to go. So, many may opt to look towards a different form of horror on their screens – tv shows. If you’re looking for a new series to dive into for this Halloween season, you came to the right place! Here are some of my recommendations for a series to watch this Halloween.

the Haunting of Hill House

This series is by far one of my favorite horror series. Directed by Mike Flanagan this series is one to leave you spooked. With a great cast, the series tells a story about a broken family who used to live in the Hill House. Flashing between present and past, the viewers discover the horrors that lurked within the house that drove the family to leave it all in the past. The Haunting of Hill House can be streamed on Netflix, and has a second season titled, The Haunting of Bly Manor.

Archive 81

If you’re into mystery and cult stuff, then Archive 81 is the perfect show for you! The show surrounds Dan, an archivist, who takes on the job of restoring damaged videotapes from a hotel that was destroyed. However, the videotapes aren’t all that they seem. Flashing between Dan and Melody, the girl recording the videotapes, the viewer watches the eeriness of the hotel and discovers what is actually happening in those four walls. With each fix of the tapes, Dan finds himself being pulled into the videotapes more and more, wanting to learn more about Melody and how he can try to save her. Archive 81 can be found on Netflix.

Buzzfeed Unsolved

Technically this isn’t a show that you can stream on Netflix or Hulu, but you can watch it on YouTube. If you’re looking to delve into some unsolved mysteries both in the supernatural and true crime realm, then Buzzfeed Unsolved is for you! The show follows its hosts, Ryan Bergara and Shane Madej as they tackle unsolved mysteries and break down theories in hopes to solve it. Unsolved mysteries are always terrifying to me, but Ryan and Shane’s use of humor and banter helps ease some of the tension and provides some much needed comedic relief. This show is one of my favorites, and definitely will not disappoint. By the end of you’re watching you’ll be quoting some Shane and Ryan quotes in your daily life, and have some knowledge about the haunted places in the country!

Ghost files

Ghost Files is the newest version of Buzzfeed Unsolved. The duo of Ryan and Shane left Buzzfeed and started their own company called, Watcher. With this new company came a brand new show, Ghost Files. Similar to Buzzfeed Unsolved, the duo visits numerous haunted places to discover the ghouls that lie within. However, for those wanting to dive deeper into the supernatural realm, then this show is for you! Providing longer episodes, more evidence – some provided by fans, and new techniques, the show tackles a new identity outside of Buzzfeed Unsolved. This show is perfect for those wanting to learn more about the spookiness and supernatural that exists all around us. You can find Ghost Files on YouTube.

Happy watching!

Serena is a Junior at the University of Pittsburgh who is majoring in English Writing with minors in Creative Writing and Legal Studies. When she's not writing short stories for class, Serena loves to write for HC Pitt, listen to music, and watch Jersey Shore!