10 Life Lessons New York City Has Taught Me (So Far)

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Although I grew up 30 minutes from New York City and spent countless weekends there in high school, I never felt like I got a true “New York City” experience. It was only last summer when I was in the middle of Manhattan every day for my internship that I felt like I became a true New Yorker. I always wanted to live out my dream and move to the Big Apple to chase a career writing for a major publication (hi, Carrie Bradshaw), but New York City proved not to be all bright lights and glamour. Fast-forward three months and I’m now in a love-hate relationship with the city. It’s not exactly like the movies and TV shows, yet there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to step onto the Penn Station platform again and spend another summer in a place that brings out the best in me. So, here is a list of the top ten lessons I learned while working in New York City.

1. Learn how to walk.  Fast.

If you want to make it in this city, you’re going to have to learn how to walk like a true New Yorker. All that really involves is picking up your pace. That being said, wear comfortable shoes. There’s really nothing worse than having to go on an errand for your boss as fast as humanly possible in 5-inch heels.

2. Figure out how to navigate the subway system.

You might not want to hear this, but if you’re planning on spending more than one night in New York, you can’t really get away with taking cabs and Uber rides to all of your destinations. The subway is the fastest, cheapest, and most convenient way to get around, and it’s actually not as bad as you think. Yes, certain subway stations are not as clean as others, but for the most part, normal people take the subway every day and you will rarely feel unsafe doing it. And mastering the NYC grid is not as hard as it looks. By the end of my first week working, I knew all the subway lines and which stops to get off at.

3. You’ve never had good pizza, bagels, or brunch until you’ve had them in New York.

Don’t even try to argue with me on this one. I live in Florida now and I have yet to come across a bagel, slice of pizza, or a place to brunch that’s as amazing as in New York City.  There’s really nothing else I can say except don’t ever, ever expect a bagel from Brueggers or Hello Bistro to make the cut. Extremely disappointing.

4. It’s expensive.

It’s a known fact that everything is more expensive in NYC, especially when you’re an unpaid intern on a budget. However, there are definitely ways to be more conscious of your spending while you’re there. For example, it may be best to pack your lunch every day instead of constantly buying the tempting food at your office’s cafe (looking at you, Hearst Tower). It may be impossible, as it was for me, to avoid spending more than usual, so just be prepared to get yelled at by your mom after she checks the bank account statements every week (Sorry, mom!).

5. Not everyone is rude.

No matter where you go in life, there will always be someone who doesn’t like you, and that has nothing to do with you. We are all living our own movies. New York is the most diverse city on the planet and you will run into people who are genuinely willing to take the time out of their day to make a difference and help when you need it.

6. Avoid Times Square.

Ok. Don’t get me wrong. Definitely visit Times Square if you haven’t done so already. It’s something you should experience once in your lifetime. But it’s also a major tourist trap, and if you ask anyone who lives in New York about it, they’ll cringe and tell you not to go. But, if you must, walk through it (quickly), snap some pics, look at the bright lights, and then get the hell out. One time is enough and you’ll understand why there really is no reason to go back.

7. You might be catcalled.

You’ll probably have to deal with this in any city you go to, but New York City is one of the worst. Don’t let this discourage you from visiting, however. After a while, it’s something you get used to and kind of tune out. I agree that it’s unfair that women are harassed every day when simply walking down the street, but there’s really nothing we can do besides ignore it. The last thing you want to do is exchange words with someone who could potentially be dangerous. 

8. Learn how to walk through Penn Station.

Yes, I was one of those. A commuter. I had the unfortunate task of taking the Long Island Railroad every day to and from New York, and it was a nightmare. The actual train ride wasn’t bad at all. I enjoyed the 45 minutes of down time before jumping into a crazy day at work. But Penn Station itself is a swirl of chaos. Remember when I said you need to learn how to walk fast? It will really come in handy if you ever find yourself in Penn Station. You will be pushed, yelled at, cursed at, given dirty looks, etc., but nothing is more satisfying than seeing your track number pop up on the board at the end of the day and racing your way through the doors to your train.

9. You’ll make new friends.

There are 8.4 million people living in New York City, so if you’re worried about making new friends, don’t be. I went into my summer internship completely alone and I came out with over ten new, really amazing friends who will be in my life forever. Everyone has a story and learning about new people from all over the country taught me surprising lessons about myself. One of the reasons why my summer was so unforgettable was because of all the great people I met in and outside of work.

10. Be yourself, and dream big.

That’s the only way to survive in this city. Like I said, there are millions of people here so you don’t have a choice to be anyone else but yourself. Embrace your individuality and you’ll learn new things, and figure out who you are. Before I came here, I had no clear direction, but now I have dreams and goals and I’m determined to come back. Being in New York City is an adventure in and of itself. You’ll constantly find that even the smallest things will inspire and guide you along the right path.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt