10 of the Best Lyrics from Mac Miller’s Posthumous Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Everyone who has either grown up in Western Pennsylvania or has come here for college knows who Mac Miller is. For me, he is the kid from the 412 who managed to make it big. I still remember being 12 years old and listening to Blue Slide Park for the first time. He was rapping about stuff I could actually relate to like PA Nights and someday going to a Party on Fifth Ave. I could picture going to Squirrel Hill’s Blue Slide Park, which is the meaning behind the name of the album. I also remember where I was when I learned he died. Ironically, it had started raining right when I got the news. That day, September 7, taught me that life is too precious. Mac Miller was truly changing the game and was just getting started. This year though, his family decided to release the album he was working on, so the world could be left speechless one last time. I truly believe this album is perfection, but these 10 lyrics just tugged at my heart strings.

“There’s water in the flowers, let’s grow.” – Surf

Gif by Unknown via Tenor
This is definitely my favorite lyric from the entire album. It reminds me much of the mantra, “April showers bring May flowers.” It might be why I like the infamous cloudy days here in Pittsburgh. Every dark day is just another day to grow as we progress through life.

“I’ll finally discover that there’s a whole lot more for me waitin.’” – Good News

Gif by NobleDame via Tenor
Good News was the first song released from the album earlier this month. Instantly, when I heard this lyric, it set the tone for 2020. I’ve had people try to hold me back which made me doubt my self-worth. They will not stop me, though. I have a whole future, whatever it may be, waiting for me and I can’t wait for them to all watch.

“Don’t you put any more stress on yourself, it’s one day at a time.” – Circles

Gif by NobleDame via Tenor
Sometimes when we are experiencing the hardest days, it feels like the world is against us. However, it’s important to remember that it’s only one day. There are greater days ahead despite this one bad day.This song also makes me a bit emotional because Ariana Grande is rumored to have vocals on the song. It’s only the first song on the album, so be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster.

“You got so far to go, but look at where you came from.” – I Can See

Gif by Unknown via Giphy
It’s so easy to forget where we all started. We all walk through life, experiencing new things but we forget what gave us our foundation. Every now and then, we need to step back and reflect on our lives up to this point in order to stay humble and continue to grow through life; this means even acknowledging our faults. The ups and downs we have experienced have led us up to this point.

“When’s the last time you took a little time for yourself?” – Hands

Gif by Unknown via Tenor
Ironically, one of Mac’s songs from Swimming, the sister album to this one has a song called Self Care. Yet, it is just one of those things we put on the back burner. As college students, it is so easy to get wrapped up in trying to maintain a consistent study schedule, applying for internships and having a social life. Every now and then, we need to just stop and step back. Mac spoke out about his mental health issues before his passing, and this album emphasizes his own struggle trying to find a balance amongst the chaos of life.

“I spent the whole day in my head. Do a little spring cleanin’” – Good News

Gif by Unknown via Giphy
We can find ourselves, at times, in a negative mindset or even surrounded by negative people. We have to be our own advocate for a better life, which may mean having to check in with ourselves and make adjustments. This means walking away from people or situations when we know we deserve better.

“It’s a blue world without you.” – Blue World

Gif by cali7 via Tenor
Of course, I miss Mac. I wish he was still around so I could thank him for giving me hope. However, there are other people I miss that have come in and out of my life. When you first lose that person, especially if they have played a significant part in your life, the world feels a little bit colder, and even blue.

“Ever since I can remember I’ve been keeping it together but I’m feeling strange. Get away when it ain’t really safe and it don’t seem right.” – Hands Me Downs

Gif by NobleDame via Tenor
Personally, I have always had the tendency to keep my emotions to myself. I prioritize others before myself, so then my emotions pile up until I break down. It isn’t healthy. There are times I wish I could run away, where I could be alone and be able to express my emotions freely. I try keeping a fake smile on even during these times, yet it all feels like it’s too much because I feel like other people are going through worse things than I am.

“I wonder, do they see their own reflection in the rain and look away?” – Once a Day

Gif by NobleDame via Tenor
We have all come across people that may have hurt us. People sometimes do not admit the faults they have, but you can’t help but wonder if they know how they act.

“And I know that someone knows me. I know somewhere there’s home.” – Surf

Gif by Unknown via Tenor
Before transferring to Pitt, it was definitely the period where I felt the loneliest despite all the people around me. It is scary to feel invisible even in a crowded room. However, Mac’s whole perspective is that there are great things that wait for all of us. Yes, it’s tough right now, but just hang on. There’s a place for all of us to call home and create our own version of family somewhere in this world. We may just not have found it yet.

Eva is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Political Science and Gender, Sexuality, & Women's Studies. Outside of Her Campus, she is a part of Phi Alpha Delta and a tour guide on campus. In her free time, either at Starbucks "studying" or at apartment binge-watching Queer Eye.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt