This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Amid this global pandemic, it seems no matter where we look, we are bombarded with COVID-19 coverage and generally depressing news. It’s hard to watch the world hurt in a way that we haven’t experienced in our lifetimes. With that in mind, I think it’s essential to seek out happy things and remind ourselves that there is still good happening in the world. Below I’m sharing some current, uplifting news and some places you can seek it out.

woman sitting on floor with laptop working from home
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

Uplifting news stories:

• Coco, a 15-year-old in CA, finished her final chemo treatment and was surprised by all of her loved ones in their cars on her street for a “reverse parade” celebration as she returned home. Read/watch here

• In this time of isolation, people are turning to animal shelters for companionship. The number of people fostering pets has increased. Read here, watch here.

• Social trends have led people to come out in force, showing appreciation for our healthcare workers. Read here

• An anonymous man left a $10k tip at a restaurant in Naples, FL, right before the Governor ordered the closure of restaurant dining rooms, to help during these uncertain times. Read here.

• The Aquarium of the Pacific has set up live webcams to continue to entertain and educate the public while we are still at home. Read here. Visit the aquarium webcams here.

Websites/pages devoted to highlighting good news:

Instagram accounts that are devoted to posting happy news:

John Krasinski (yes, he deserves his own section): 

• Actor John Krasinski put out a call on his Twitter for #SomeGoodNews, and there have been thousands of replies. He then used those replies to create his own YouTube show to highlight the heart-warming things happening in the world right now. He even threw in an interview with his The Office co-star, Steve Carell. Watch the show here, check out the Twitter thread here, and read all tweets with the hashtag here

Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.