freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Letters to my Crush – The Bittersweet Truth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Dear Crush,

At the beginning, things were happy. You were the newest present in my life, and though the feeling was unexpected, it made almost every other aspect of my life lighter. I finally had a reason to get dolled up in the morning and a reason to love going to class. We would often have good talks and it would make my day brighter. Even better, if I could make you laugh, my giddiness would last for a week. Then things began to get more bittersweet when I realized that you only saw me as a friend, being treated like one of the boys. I’m not the desperate type, nor am I the type to wallow, so I accepted it. As long as I get to talk to you and be your friend, then that’s all that matters. At least, that was how it was in the beginning.

Dear Crush,

I lied about being okay with just being your friend. Now, I’m starting to want more, but reality punches me when I realize that unless I step up my game that won’t happen. However, I’m not good at flirting. In fact, coming from an all girl’s school, I’m still getting the hang of talking to boys. At the same time, I’m perfectly okay with the fact that I’m not good at those things. I’d rather have your respect than seem like someone who’s easy. Still, why do you have to have such an adorable goofy smile? And your hair. I just want to run my hand through it. Okay, maybe that’s a bit weird, but these are just some of the things you’ll never know. The frustration is building and it doesn’t seem like you’ll look at me anytime soon.

Dear Crush,

Please stop being so nice to me. I’ve decided that it’s time to move on. No, don’t even smile at me. There’s a reason why I’ve been avoiding eye contact. Stop reeling me back in, I need to let go. Why do you have to be in the same class as me at such a small school?  It is pure torture wanting something I can’t have.  I wish you weren’t so dense, I wish I was prettier, I wish you’d see me as a woman, but then again, I wish for so many things. These wishes won’t come true. All I can do is distract myself enough to sleep at night and avoid your gaze. Either see me, or leave me because it’s draining to have feelings for someone as unattainable as you. The thing that makes it so much worse is the voice in the back of my head: Being just friends with you hurts.

XOXO,

Every Girl Who’s Ever Had an Unrequited Love <3

SaveSave

My name is Queenie Navarro and I am an Accounting major in my 3rd year at Pepperdine University. On campus, I am involved with the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and am currently interning for College Fashionista as a Style Guru. In my free time, I enjoy going on spontaneous adventures and am devoted to the belief that life is about taking chances and trying everything that the world has to offer. I've shopped 'til I've literally dropped, I used to be part of a punk rock band, I've tried everything from escargot to scorpions on a stick, and have been fortunate enough to travel in over 40 countries before I even turned twenty. Overall, I consider myself to be a very open-minded person and am inspired, daily, by the people around me. One day, I dream of working for the corporate offices of some fashion magazine while hopefully getting to travel the world.