Health

Flying During the Era of COVID

I have now flown 2 round trips (4 flights) to 2 different places during COVID-19, so I am going to share some of my thoughts and tips about flying during this crazy time with you!

[bf_image id="q4s6il-gd0h4-bwqgp5"] Tip #1: Don’t fly if you can manage it. Take a roadtrip instead or even better, just stay home! Regardless of the precautions airports, airlines, and the government is taking, it just isn’t an ideal time to be traveling.

Tip #2: That being said, sometimes you just can’t help it (trust me, I know), so tip #2: be extra careful. Wear 2 masks, bring lots of hand sanitizer and sanitize OFTEN, and bring disinfectant wipes to wipe off the surfaces you touch.

Tip #3: Eat and drink BEFORE you get to the airport. You need to keep your mask on as much as possible so try to limit reasons for taking it off!

Tip #4: Sit by the window to prevent contact with more people as they go up and down the aisle. And even better, try to sit where no one else is!

Tip #5: Know where you’re going. I flew to New Jersey and to Texas during quarantine, 2 places that are obviously handling COVID quite differently. The people of each flight behaved mainly according to how the destination is treating COVID, i.e. many people on my Texas flight didn’t have their masks on properly, didn’t social distance, etc. On my New Jersey flight, however, people were much more respectful of others and the rules of the airport/airline.

Finally, tip #6: If you feel unsafe, tell a flight attendant or airport personnel. It is their job to make sure everyone is adhering to guidelines (that means back up and put your mask over your mouth AND nose!). It might feel like you’re tattling, but you’re really just trying to keep everyone safe.

Remember to try to stay at home, wear your mask, and wash your hands!

Emma Thomasson

Pepperdine '21

Hello! My name is Emma. I am a student at Pepperdine University and I am studying Philosophy with the hopes of obtaining my MFT license after I graduate in 2021. I was born in Houston, Texas, and raised in Waco, Texas. That being said, I am avid supporter of Baylor sports and TexMex! I believe mental health is the most important thing to maintain in college. Some ways that I maintain mine include (but are not limited to) boxing, Disney, and beach days with my friends out here in Malibu!