This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Many of us struggle with negative thoughts that shake our confidence.  Unfortunately, these negative thoughts can affect our relationships, our job performance, and our personal lives.  But thankfully, thinking positively can cause the opposite effect: if you believe that you are good enough, you can create a more positive influence in your life.

An affirmation is an assertion or reinforcement of the value of one’s life, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. Affirmations can take the form of a verbal statement, a journal entry, or a visualization. Whatever method you choose, affirmations can improve your mood and quality of life. 

You can use affirmations any time of the day. Affirmations can come in handy in the following situations:

• Before a test or presentation
  • When you are feeling self-conscious or doubtful 
  • When you wake up (to start your day off on a positive note!)
  • Before starting a new task

Here are some examples of affirmations that you can use to create an overall more positive outlook on life:

• I am worthy of love!
  • I can do hard things!
  • Those around me will recognize my achievements!
  • I enjoy being with the people in my life!
  • I am creating a happy and safe environment!
  • I am good at my job!
  • I am grateful for what I have!
  • Today will be a good day!

Writing down affirmations has personally helped me live more confidently. When I start my day thinking clearly and positively, it allows me to be productive and happy throughout the day.

Hey!!! Remember to treat people with kindness! she/her/hers
Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!