Wellness

8 Tips for Surviving “Dead Week” and Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Life is insane; everyone on campus knows it. It’s currently our “dead week,” or the week before finals, but WE STILL HAVE CLASS. I don’t know about you, but I am stressed. I have two finals this week, before the rest of the final exams begin, on top of projects being due, attending class, and all that jazz. 

I’ve put together a list of tips for surviving all we have in store for these next few weeks, and hopefully, I’ll even follow my advice.

woman sitting at laptop
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Schedule out when you are going to study for which classes

It’s much more effective than just “playing it by ear,” and it gives some peace of mind about when and how everything is going to get done.

Book your study rooms in advance

Payson is the hottest, most exclusive place to be. If you want to make sure you can get a good study spot in the library, it’s best to book in advance.

Make sure to drink water to compensate for the massive caffeine intake

Hydrate or die-drate — tacky, but true. Dehydration also causes fatigue, which is the opposite of what we want during finals week.

Drink Emergen-C or take lots of vitamins

It’s the absolute worst time to get sick, so give your immune system an extra boost.

Get at least some sleep

I have had my fair share of all-nighters, ask my roommates. So many things to do and not enough hours in the day, I get it. But, your body will thank you if you get at least some sleep — it’s better than none. 

Keep your room tidy

My room is the first thing I let slip when I have a lot of school work. I feel like I can’t justify cleaning when I have so many other things to do, but then I feel disgusted by the fact I haven’t made my bed in days, there are papers and books all over my desk, and there’s a pile of clothes on top of my dresser. Keeping a tidy room will help you keep your sanity and feel like your life is more together than it likely is. 

Make sure to eat actual meals

Feed your brain! Again, your body will thank you for eating more than snacks and Cup Noodles. Eat eggs, berries, nuts, dark chocolate, greens, fish, or whatever has actual nutrients.

Take breaks

Make some time to exercise, be social, take a nap, or watch YouTube. You’re working hard — you and your brain deserve a break and a change of scenery. It’ll help you focus better later, and might even help alleviate stress.

You’re SO close to winter break — push through this stretch. You’ve got this!

Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.