This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

I am not an esthetician or skin care professional by any means, but I’ve put together a list of seven easy tips I’ve gathered over the years. I do all of these things and have noticed a significant difference in my skin. Not only have I had fewer breakouts, but my skin feels happier overall. Hopefully, these tips can help make yours happy too!

Original Illustration Created in Canva for Her Campus Media
1. Never skip your skincare routine. No matter how tempted you are to skip a step, or the process altogether, when you’re exhausted, don’t skip it; you will thank yourself later for pushing through.

2. Pat your skin dry, don’t rub it. It may take some time to retrain yourself, but be conscious about patting your skin dry instead of rubbing it; rubbing your face can be too aggressive and really drying.

3. Moisturize immediately after drying your face. Everyone has their own routine, but moisturizing within the first 60 (ish) seconds of drying your face helps to keep it hydrated by locking in the moisture from the water.

4. Have a towel specifically designated for your face. You don’t want to get bacteria and the products you put elsewhere on your body to get all over your face and into your pores. Perfume, hair products, and body lotions aren’t supposed to go on your face, so don’t let them end up there.

5. Switch your face towel frequently. Even with a towel specifically designated for your face, it’s essential to switch it every few days to make sure it stays clean. If your skin is sensitive like mine, you may want to change it daily.

6. Wash your makeup brushes weekly. It’s important to clean your makeup brushes frequently to avoid putting dirt and old makeup buildup back onto your face and into your pores.

7. Switch your pillowcase at least once a week. Regardless of how often you wash your sheets, switch out your pillowcase. Not only does it trap the oils from your face, but all your hair products also rub off on it.

Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.