This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Spring has finally arrived, and it brings longer days, warmer air, and midterms with no breaks. But while Spring Break may not be a thing this semester, spring can bring with it its very own cures for the semesterly stress, but with so much time (and little commuting), how can you experience the spring? 

Here are my top tips for bringing this season into your space and maybe brightening up your day:

Open Your Windows!

It’s so easy to forget the power of some fresh air and sunlight when you’ve gotten used to long hours and late nights studying. So pull up those blinds and open the windows because natural light makes everything better. And who knows? Maybe you’ll be able to hear some birds singing and smell the wildflowers.

Buy Some Flowers

Speaking of flowers, I know there is a spot on your desk where some fresh-cut blooms would fit perfectly. We all love our succulents, but even a bunch of baby’s breath can make your room feel lighter and brighter.

Aroma Makes a Difference

If you can light a candle, go for it, but if you’re not in a candle-friendly space, try a diffuser or wax melter to bring those spring day scents into the room.

Add Some Bright Decorations

Adding splashes of colors can really help brighten up the whole room. I know none of us has the money to totally redecorate, but a brightly colored print added to the wall or a pastel throw pillow or blanket can be equally effective as a room decor shopping spree. 

Keep Your Room Clean

For me, this is the hardest one. It’s so much easier just to drop everything when I get in and not bother putting anything away, but having a decluttered space and being able to see the floor and your desk can make your dorm feel bigger and relaxing.

I like to change my room with every season, and as much as I love the heavy blankets and earthy colors that I add for the fall and winter, there is something about the lightness of spring that I welcome with open arms despite the stress that can wiggle into the season as well. 

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate. 
Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!