This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

I have always been a pretty big DC comics fan, so much so that I subscribed to the now-defunct DC Universe. When I heard DC Universe was shuttering the doors and moving all original series over to HBO Max I immediately subscribed. Around the same time, my friend shared her Disney+ information with me so that I could watch a couple of random shows with my younger sister. In the past two months since getting both of those subscription services, I have been binge-watching a lot. Below are some of my current favorites I watched this month.

Narcos (Netflix)

I am a little late to the party, but I have been on a huge Pedro Pascal kick and am currently binging my way through his entire filmography. Narcos is a dramatized Netflix original series about Pablo Escobar, the cocaine industry in Columbia during the 1980s, and America’s Drug Enforcement Administration’s involvement with Escobar. I am almost done with season one and am really enjoying it. It has that nice balance between political intrigue, comedy, and action that the best Netflix original series have.  I’d rate it an 8.5/10 so far.

Batwoman (CW, HBO Max)

If you are into comic book superheroes, crime mysteries, and lesbian relationship drama, then this is a show I can wholeheartedly recommend. Batwoman is campy and fun while also maintaining an enticing dramatic atmosphere. In other words, it is perfectly CW. I watched part of the first season when it was airing at college with friends in the fall of 2019, but I am just now finishing the first season with my family. This show follows Kate Kane, the cousin of Bruce Wayne, three years after Batman has mysteriously disappeared. After a villain named Alice attacks Gotham, Kane takes on the role of Batwoman to protect her family and her city, but Alice seems to know a little too much about Kane’s history. Although I am not a fan of Ruby Rose and how the show erases Batwoman’s Jewish heritage, Rose does a pretty good job at playing both the lesbian playboy character of Kate Kane and her serious vigilante counterpart. I’d give it a solid 6/10.

Adventure Time (HBO Max)

I was not allowed to watch Adventure Time as a kid because my mom thought it was stupid and I shouldn’t waste my time on it. But, since I got HBO Max, Adventure Time ended recently and I have been on a huge cartoon binge with my baby sister, I figured I might as well go ahead and watch it. It’s a fun and silly way to unwind after stressful online classes. For those who are not familiar, Adventure Time is a cartoon fantasy series following Finn the Human and his dog Jake as they go on quests in the land of Oo. We are about halfway through season 3, and I am enjoying that it gives me a way to spend time with my sister. I’d rate it a 6/10.

The Vow (HBO)

I love true crime stuff and have always been fascinated by cults. A year ago, I binged the Cults and Extreme Belief mini-series on Hulu and have been rapidly consuming content about them ever since. As mentioned before, I just got HBO Max a month ago, so it finally gave me a chance to watch the documentary series about NXIVM. This limited series is heartbreaking, emotionally raw, and horrifying. It unpacks the trauma and manipulation related to what it is like to be in a cult. I would say it is a necessary watch for anyone interested in cults or documentaries. I’d rate it a 9/10.

Owl House (Disney+)

My baby sister and I have always shared a love of cartoons. Owl House has been one of the best cartoons I’ve seen in a long time. It is an excellent coming-of-age fantasy series with outstanding representation. It is about a Dominican-American, bisexual 14-year-old girl named Luz who lands in the magical archipelago called The Boiling Isles, and follows her adventures as a magical apprentice to Eda the Owl Lady. Eda is a magical thief with a mysterious past who lives in a magical house called The Owl House that’s infested with all sorts of magical creepy crawlies. It’s funny yet also dramatic when it needs to be — it’s just a good and enjoyable show. My sister loves it, and I like it as well. It is both kid-friendly and enjoyable for older people to watch. If you grew up watching Gravity Falls, you will love this. The creator Dana Terrace is married to Gravity Falls’ creator Alex Hirsch and he even voices a character in it. I’d rate it a 9/10.

For me, TV shows and movies have always been a form of escapism into imaginary worlds. I was always a very hyperactive child and the worlds presented in cartoons and live-action shows gave me something to fixate on and explore. My sister is the same way, so getting a chance to explore new worlds and escape ours together has been a joy, especially since I was attending a college that was two states away from her. Getting to explore new and old shows with her has allowed me to create new memories with her that I might never have if school was in person, which I’m thankful for.

Hope Lockwood

Pepperdine '23

My name is Hope, I am a sophomore at Pepperdine University. I am majoring in Philosophy and Literature with a minor in Great Books.
Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!