This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

As the semester picks up and our to-do lists seem to grow endlessly with each passing week, it may feel hard to create time for self-reflection. But, taking the time to process and analyze your thoughts, emotions, goals and current position in life is so necessary! Here are 15 deep journal prompts for self-reflection that you can write about for as long (or short) as you’d like.

Even though your worth is intrinsic, it’s easy to forget that. Sometimes, we all wrongly base our perceptions of self-worth on external things. What is something you tend to base your worth on?

What is an emotion that you are scared of or dislike to feel?

What do you ideally see yourself doing in five years? Where are you? Who is in your life? What is your mindset/personality like?

What is something you appreciate about your own character/personality?

If you could stop time for two hours every day, what would you do with this extra time?

When was the last time you felt frustrated? How did you deal with it?

If you had to be one of your friends/acquaintances, who would you choose, and why?

How do you feel when you think about your future? Reminder: it’s okay to feel anxious, scared, happy, hopeful, confused, numb or any emotion in between. Everything will be okay.

If you could pick one song to represent the general theme of your life right now, what would it be and why?

Do you trust yourself?

In what area of life are you hardest on yourself?

What is something you know you’re good at?

What habits do you know are good for you but have trouble implementing?

Write about a difficult time in your past that ended up strengthening you.

What is something you always wanted as a kid that you have now?

Especially over quarantine, journaling has offered me so much peace and a number of mind-blowing revelations. Whether you journal for three minutes or an hour, on paper or your phone, the act of intentionally transcribing your thoughts in a tangible form is so soothing. Self-reflection, healing and getting to know yourself better are processes you should always make time for.

Hannah Cheng

Pepperdine '22

Hannah is a Pepperdine student majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications, and she is passionate about health, lifestyle, current issues, and ultimately working with the women around her to fulfill their potential as individuals and a community. She has always loved storytelling and writing, and is so excited to be here at HC.
Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!