You’re in College, Now What? How to Make the Most out of Your Very First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Coming to college from high school is a major transition, especially because you are bound to set new goals and gain a new set of experiences. Starting your first year of college is exciting and adventurous, and everyone’s experience is bound to be unique. I remember exactly how I felt during my first day of college: I was optimistic, enthusiastic, and sweating bolts out of nerves all at once. However, upon getting acclimated in college and getting involved, my nerves just drifted away in the process, and I soon found myself getting closer and closer to achieving my career and academic goals.

Upon starting college, a great goal to maintain throughout the fours years is to remain strategically career minded, socially connected, and academically driven all while making the most out of your college experience. While many students find the first couple of weeks overwhelming, here as some fun tips to make sure that you are making the most out of this very crucial and exciting year.

1. Check Out Some Student Organizations!

I cannot stress enough how important it is to get involved.  Not only does getting involved on campus allows you to meet new friends and build a networking community with like-minded individuals, it will also help you get a head-start on your resume.  Even as a freshman, this is always a great idea. Many student organizations on campus help students acquire stellar experience and prepare for internships. When it comes to presenting yourself as a polished professional for future internships and career opportunities, having well-developed experiences under your belt will make you a valuable candidate for any career opportunity. Besides, you are bound to have a lot of fun when joining an organization based around something you are passionate about.  Whether it is fashion, business, law, or even science/tech-related, there is a student organization for you! Also, if there is not one that piques your interest, you could always create your own! The possibilities are endless, and if you step outside of your comfort zone-you might discover a passion you did not even realize was there.

2. Attend Social Events and Other College Functions

College can be stressful, let’s admit it.  However, even though the workload is higher and textbooks are ridiculously priced, your first couple of weeks don’t need to be strictly work and no time to socialize.  No matter where you attend college, the first couple of weeks are meant to help get you acclimated into your new lifestyle. So, take some time during common hours to attend the variety of socials, meet & greets, and events happening all around campus.  These functions will give you the opportunity to meet new people you probably would not get to know otherwise, so try to keep an open mind (and open ears) to all of the new and exciting things going on. I promise you, you would not want to miss out. There are also plenty of student organizations such as the Black Student Union (BSU) or International student clubs that were created to bring together students of like backgrounds so you never feel like a ‘fish out of water’.

3.   Make New Friends!

One of the best parts about arriving to college your freshman year is being able to make new friends almost every day—and sooner or later, you’ll develop a new circle of friends! Remember to choose your friends wisely, but always be open-minded and know that even thirty seconds of being outgoing can lead to lifelong friendships.  Making new friends is one of the most important aspects of adjusting to college life; it is so important that you surround yourself with the right kind of people when in college. You want people around you that encourage you, not bring you down, so keep that in mind as well. Overall, the friends you meet during your college years are likely to be lifelong friendships, so make sure to find your niche and enjoy yourself along the way.  

4. Practice Time-Management

Alright…Alright…time for the nitty-gritty. While you’re joining student organizations, being proactive on campus, and making new friends, it is easy to find your schedule becoming constantly packed. Starting off freshman year, I realized that my schedule is crazy full, and I am always up and about between organization meetings, events, socials, etc.  However, while staying busy in those aspects, I also have made sure to keep a planner of all the assignments I need to get done each week. Keeping an organized schedule helps me stay focused on my academic goals for the semester, and it could work for you, too!  Freshman year is a critical year as it establishes the foundation for your grade point average. With that being said: take your grades seriously, aim to study for at least forty five minutes a day, and keep a planner of everything you need to accomplish class-wise, so you never fall behind or get demotivated.  Above all, getting stellar grades should be the number one priority.

Overall, freshman year is supposed to be eventful and exciting, so make the most of it!  Enjoy this time because it certainly goes by very fast, and strive to be the best person you could be, every day.

Keep up with her on her Instagram @therealclaudian.