Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness

Workouts Made For Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As the weather gets colder, many people are getting sick. You might be worried about when you’re the next person to wake up with a sore throat or stuffy nose. On top of all that, it is midterm season and we’re still in the middle of a pandemic. Whether you’re looking for some way to keep your heart rate up and get moving or trying to avoid the gym, this workout is great for any dorm room. All you need is some floor space and a chair! Some of the workouts include an alternative solution for anyone who is looking to get moving in their dorm (or apartment) but may not have a lot of space to move around. 

Jumping Jacks

Start by warming up your body with some jumping jacks for 30 seconds. It’s a great way to get some cardio in. If you wish to do something slightly more advanced, increase the intensity by doing 1 minute 30 seconds. 

Jump “Rope” (Advance) 

To get your heart rate going even more, do some “ropes”. Don’t worry about not having a jump rope or the space for this. Just keep your body relaxed and your wrists up, as if you’re holding a jump rope and start rotating it, making small jumps in a consistent rhythm. And just like that you’re jumping “rope”! Continue for 1 unit 30 seconds. 

Pushups

This is probably the best way to build some arm muscles. Just remember: There’s no shame in having weak arms. If you feel that you are having trouble fully bending your elbows in a full body pushup, feel free to keep your knees on the ground, but make sure your back and butt are straight and you don’t bend your hips as you go down. Do 20 reps.

Alternative: This workout can be done on your dorm mattress too!

Squats

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Sit your hips back until your thighs are parallel to the ground. It’s kind of like you’re sitting in an invisible chair. As you fall into your invisible chair, make sure to extend your arms straight out, parallel to the ground and your thighs. You can also open your chest, keep your hands close to your chest, with your elbows sticking out. Do 20 reps.

Burpees (Advance)

In case the squats and pushups were not enough of a burn for your arms and legs, this workout is sure to get your whole body feeling something. Start in a pushup position, with your knees off the ground. Drop your chest down and back up, completing a full body pushup. Jump your feet to your hands, then pick yourself up into a squat position, and jump. Make sure to fully extend your arms straight up as you are in the air. You should land on your feet. You might want to consider doing this on a rug if you’re afraid you would disturb those hard working student living downstairs. Do 20 reps.

Hip thrusts  

Start with your back and feet on the ground, with your knees pointing up. Spread your feet so that they are shoulder widths apart. Keeping your feet flat on the ground, lift your hips up. Tighten your core as you thrust, and keep your arms laid flat on the floor. Do 10 reps.

Advance: For some added resistance, use a textbook or a liquid detergent bottle as weights. Rest your choice of added weight on your stomach and place your hand on top of it to keep it from sliding all over. 

The “Shopping” Workout

The first time I came to train but was really too tired to actually train, my coach looked at me and said, “we’re going shopping.” I was so confused until he explained it, and since then, I call this the “shopping workout”. Grab your gallon of laundry detergent (and kindly ask your roommate if you can borrow theirs for this workout). The heavier the better. Lift your weights and walk around your dorm room for 1 minute, without putting down the weight. At the end of the minute, you should start to feel a burn in the back of your shoulders. If not, try adding more weights next time. 

Advance: This workout can be done with however much weight as you wish. 

Alternative: You can also fill two tote bags with books. Just make sure both bags feel equal in weight. Carry the bag on your hands and not your shoulders. 

Russian Twists 

To begin the cool down, sit on the floor with your feet flat on the ground. Keeping both feet on the floor, turn your hips and body left and right. Keep your hands together and touch the ground with each left and each right. Your core should be tight throughout. Repeat for 30 seconds. 

Advance: Use your liquid detergent bottle or a textbook for added weight. Make sure the weight touches the ground each turn. Do it for 45 seconds. 

Plank

A plank is basically a pushup, but lowered… right? Get into a push up position and drop your elbows. Your forearm should also be on the ground. Squeeze your core tight and make sure your body is in line. Your back should not dip down and your butt should not stick up. And just breathe, for 45 seconds. 

Advance: Plank for 1 minute. Alternative: This workout can be done on your dorm mattress too! Just make sure you keep your body straight.

Cleo Lim

Pace '22

I am a senior at Pace University studying Film and Screen Studies with a minor in photography.