This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

I am an older sister to two baby half-sisters, which means I have seen every kids movie or show that has come out within the past seven years. I’d say this makes me somewhat of an expert. Of course, most of these shows I watched against my will as they were my only form of entertainment while babysitting. That was until one fateful morning when, as I poured my little sister’s cereal, she yelled from the living room, “please, please, please can we watch Bluey?!” I sighed and threw it on the TV, sitting down on the sofa with my own bowl of cereal and preparing myself for another silly kids show. By the end of the first episode, I hadn’t touched my cereal and was actively fighting back tears. I could smell the scent of hose water running down my driveway, washing away chalk on a summer’s day. I could feel my mother’s hands pressed against my face as she told me that everything would be okay. I was hooked. The girls then asked if I could change it to Miraculous Ladybug, and I promptly answered with a resounding “absolutely not.” Bluey is a cartoon about a family of anthropomorphic dogs, the Heelers, living whimsical lives in a quiet Australian suburb. While the show is tailored as a “kids show,” it becomes clear as you watch it that the writers knew parents and siblings might be watching, too. Bluey has the serious potential to heal generational trauma, and we should be thanking the writers for this animated masterpiece.

Each episode of Bluey follows the day-to-day experiences of a mother (Chilli) and a father (Bandit) raising their two rambunctious daughters, four-year-old Bingo and six-year-old Bluey. The show is designed the way most kids shows are, with hilarious shenanigans and an overarching lesson in each episode. I was surprised by how clever the humor was for a show meant for children. I was even more surprised by the lessons and how many of them seemed just mature enough that a seven-year-old might not fully understand them. It was then that I knew the writers wanted to speak to me, too, not just my little sister. They wanted to remind me what it was like to create adventures out of the mundane, to make friends (and lose them), to feel sad over the small stuff, and above all, to feel safe. Watching this show feels like receiving ten years worth of love, support, and validation for all those childhood experiences.

As someone living in that terrifying space between childhood and adulthood, I can also appreciate how Bluey tries to bridge the gap between parent and child, making the show that much more important. Bluey is not a show that preaches the importance of listening and perfect behavior; it’s rather the opposite. It represents all the times when both children and parents lack these skills and qualities. It maintains a balance between being idealistic and realistic by illustrating that parents make mistakes often. There are plenty of episodes in which Chilli and Bandit are imperfect, along with the other parental figures we meet throughout the show. In “Faceytalk,” an episode in season 3, Bingo and Bluey use Bandit’s phone to camera-call their cousins, Muffin and Socks. Muffin hogs the phone from her sister, which results in a wild goose chase as Muffin’s father tries to take the phone from an escaping Muffin and places her in a time-out. Muffin’s mother catches the father in the act and reprimands him for his poor parenting choices…while still very much in earshot of Muffin, along with callers Bluey and Bingo. The parents are seen arguing on camera (not a perfect parent moment), but as they communicate, they reach a compromise and understanding between one another that allows them to work together in capturing the evasive Muffin. Moments like these depicting the raw reality of flawed parenting are scattered throughout the show, often portrayed and resolved in a way that ends with the children understanding that although they aren’t perfect, their parents love them and are trying their very best.

Some episodes advocate for children just as clearly as they advocate for parents. One that I found particularly evocative was “Dance Mode.” In this episode, Bandit eats Bingo’s last chip at a Heeler family lunch outing. As payment to Bingo for his mistake, Bandit gifts Bingo three chances to activate dance mode. She simply has to flick any family member’s tail whenever there is music playing, and no matter where they are or what they’re doing, they are forced to dance around like a lunatic. Bingo wasn’t the only one excited about dance mode; Both Bluey and Chili beg Bingo to activate Dance Mode on various occasions during their outing. Bingo, being the sweet and generous child she is, graciously allows them to use her dance mode chances. By the end of the episode, Bandit and Bluey talk Bingo into trading her last dance mode for twenty dollars. Then they find out that while she willingly gave her dance modes away, she secretly did not want to. She just didn’t know how to say no. Being the youngest child, Bingo did not communicate the way she should have, and her parents both apologize and let her know that it isn’t her fault. This episode really speaks to the people pleasers and teaches the importance of listening to your “inside voice,” even when your “outside voice” answers differently. This both reassures children who are still learning to speak up for themselves and educates parents on how to help their quieter children do just that. Above all, for both parents and children, this show teaches us what healthy communication looks like and why communication is a crucial pillar in all relationships.

Aside from the brilliantly written life lessons and heartwarming familial moments, Bluey is a joy to watch mainly from how beautiful the episodes can be. In an episode titled “Sleepytime,” Bingo and Bluey are being put to bed by their parents when Bingo confides in Chilli that she wants to try a “big girl sleep,” which is her way of saying she will not climb into bed with her parents in the middle of the night. This is a big step for Bingo and to illustrate this, the story revolves around Bingo’s magical dreams. The animation art for the episode is a stunning array of vibrant stars and planets, a galaxy of Bingo’s own creation. The score of this episode, based on the orchestral suite The Planets by Gustav Holst, floods your ears with an intensity that evokes powerful emotions. The episode tells a simple story while giving you the experience of observing a piece of art. The aesthetically pleasing moments are not the only factors that contribute to Bluey’s beauty. In the episode titled “Camping,” the storytelling itself leaves you simultaneously devastated and elated. The Heeler family goes camping along the Australian countryside, and while exploring the wilderness, Bluey stumbles across an unexpected friend named Jean Luc, who happens to be French. Jean Luc and Bluey play and explore together, overcoming their language barrier in the most creative ways. They build a hut of leaves, hunt a “wild boar,” and plant a seed in the dirt together, checking its progress every day to see if it grew. After a few days of adventuring with her new friend, Bluey is heartbroken to discover that Jean Luc had to leave with his family as their holiday was over. She can lean on Chilli for answers and support during this difficult time, expressing that she does not understand why such an important person can leave her life so suddenly. Chilli reassures her that friends will come and go and stresses the importance of appreciating the good times you had rather than mourning them. This is a theme that we can all relate to at some point in life, so naturally, I was an emotional mess during the last scene of the episode (no spoilers! Watch Bluey on Disney+ to find out what happens).

All in all, Bluey holds such a special place in my heart and stands out among the typical kids shows we see on our streaming platforms. With brilliant storytelling, heartwarming themes, and hilarious situational comedy, Bluey is truly a show for the people. It has the great potential to heal generational trauma by teaching parents, children, and young adults who can’t wait to have kids of their own about the most important parts of life. I see pieces of my childhood in every story and pieces of myself in every character. I will continue watching it with my closest friends and sharing the laughter and tears, slowly healing my inner child with each episode I watch. If you’re in need of heartwarming or heartbreaking, Bluey is the show for you.

Julia Kennedy is the Secretary for Her Campus at Pace. She oversees all communications to members regarding meetings, important events, and club incentives. She ensures that each exciting club event is processed and spaces are reserved so that members may enjoy exclusive social opportunities. Julia loves acting as an intermediary between general and e-board members, facilitating important information to the people that make Her Campus at Pace the incredible club that it is. Beyond her role within Her Campus at Pace, Julia has been conducting creative research on 2010's social media culture for the Dyson College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate research program as an awardee of the Amelia A. Gould Research Grant. She also works part-time at the Pace University Counseling Center as a student assistant. In the past, she has been a Junior Editor for Her Campus at Pace and worked as an assistant Editor and Copywriter for Pace University's Communications Department. Julia is currently a Senior working toward her Bachelor's in Communications and Media Studies, with a Literature minor already under her belt. Julia enjoys escaping academic obligations through reading, writing, and especially drawing. She has always had a soft spot for the fine arts. When even the smallest amount of sun warms the skies of NYC, she can be found sitting on a bench or in a grassy park, listening to Jack Johnson and photosynthesizing.