This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In light of Sustainability Week at Her Campus Pace, we’re sharing tips for how to live a lifestyle that protects the environment. At the forefront of many conversations is cutting out animal products and byproducts from your diet. However, that’s simply not possible for everyone. Diet restrictions, money, and living situations are a few common reasons. At the end of the day, it comes down to preference and choice. 

“Meatless Mondays” is a happy medium where people cut meat out of their lives only one day of the week. If you are able to do so, take the challenge. Here is a favorite recipe of mine to spice up the day! 

Buffalo Chickpea Taquitos

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp Olive Oil

• 2 Cloves Minced Garlic

• 1 Bell Pepper

• 1 ½ cups Cooked Chickpeas

• ½ cup Tomato Sauce

• 3 tbsp Hot Sauce

• 2 tbsp Milk (or Plant-Based Milk)

• 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

• ¾ tsp Brown Sugar

• Spices to Taste:

• Onion Powder

• Garlic Powder

• Paprika

• Cumin

• Salt & Pepper

• Chili Powder

• Small Flour Tortillas

• 2 cups Shredded Cheese (your choice, I use a Mexican blend)

Steps:

1. Using a fork, mash chickpeas.

2. Dice bell pepper.

3. In a pan heat oil and chopped pepper, cook for three minutes and add minced garlic and spice mix, sauté for a further minute.

4. Add tomato sauce, hot sauce, balsamic vinegar, milk, and brown sugar; simmer on low heat for 2-4 minutes.

5. Taste and add more spices to liking!

6. Preheat the oven to 410 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

7. Put filling and cheese on the tortilla, roll it tightly, and place it seam side down on the parchment. Then brush them with a bit of oil (to make them crispy!).

8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then enjoy!

This is one of my favorite recipes and can be modified in so many ways. I hope you all enjoy it!

This recipe is not my own and has been modified from its original source.

Madison Turunen is a student of the Class of 2023 at Pace University, on the New York City campus. She is double majoring in History and Peace & Justice Studies with minors in Women & Gender Studies and Politics. Someday she hopes to go into human rights advocacy. She is a huge activist and environmentalist, with a lean towards gender equality and peace-building. As a part of Her Campus, she has published articles on lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.