This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Museums are a cornerstone of culture in New York City, and they have finally started reopening! Here’s a list of the top five museums to visit, and how you can reserve tickets for them once they finally reopen.  

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

The Met is an obvious first choice when you think of the best museums to visit in New York. The Met has something for everyone- from the “In Pursuit of Fashion” exhibit to miles of paintings and sculptures. You’ll need to visit multiple times to be able to see everything. The Met has already reopened, and you can purchase tickets online for $25, or $12 with a student ID. The Met Cloisters. which is a separate location that features medieval European artwork, reopens on September 12 with the same ticket prices. 

The Museum of Natural History

The Museum of Natural History features extensive galleries of animals from all over the world. It’s a great visit just to simply go around and look at the displays (and to see where the iconic film Night at the Museum takes place). The museum reopens on September 9th, and you can reserve tickets on their website. General admission costs $23 and student tickets are $18. 

The Museum of Modern Art

MoMa, or the Museum of Modern Art, has already reopened to the public. Through September 27th, they are offering free tickets which you can reserve online. If you are unable to get the free tickets, MoMa is selling blocks of tickets each Friday. Currently, tickets are available through October with general admission being $25 and student tickets $14. 

The Whitney Museum of American Art 

The Whitney Museum is located near Chelsea Market, and they have an extensive modern art collection. The Whitney is currently doing “pay what you wish” prices for tickets. Tickets can be purchase through the Whitney website, and at checkout you can chose to pay $1, $5, $20, $50, or however much you like (with the minimum being $1) for as many tickets as you want! This is a great price for museum tickets, so be sure to take advantage of this deal! 

The Museum of Arts and Design 

The Museum of Arts and Design, or MAD, reopens on September 17th in Columbus Circle. This museum is constantly changing out its exhibits, and when it reopens, MAD will have exhibitions on jewelry and miniature sculptures. The price of general tickets are $18 and $12 for students. 

As you can see, there’s something for everyone when it comes to museums in NYC. Wear your mask, social distance, and admire some art! 

Hi! I'm from Austin, TX and I'm majoring in Production Design with and emphasis in Costume Design. I love pop culture, fashion history, reading and sewing.
Her Campus Pace Contributor