CPL Sections FOOD?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections FOOD?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

Super Bowl Snacks You Can Make in a Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

With the big day coming up, now is the time to start planning that Super Bowl get-together. Whether you’re going to host a huge party or simply want to spend a quiet evening with friends, snacks are always a Super Bowl necessity. Here is a list of easy snacks you can make in your dorm for, arguably, the most important day of the year for American football fans:

Deviled eggs

Even though they may appear fancy, deviled eggs are actually very simple to make and can easily be done in your dorm. Fun fact: you can make hard-boiled eggs in a microwave. Check out this recipe to see how it’s done. Once you’ve boiled them, cut them in half and scoop out the yolk. Then, go to your dining hall, and grab some mustard and mayonnaise packets. Mix them all together with the yolks and some salt and pepper until you have a smooth filling. Fill those egg whites up, and you’ve made yourself delicious deviled eggs.

Nachos

Does this one even need a recipe? Simply grab a bag of your favorite tortilla chips and spread them on a platter with some shredded cheese. Microwave it until the cheese is melted, and there you go–you have nachos. Don’t forget the toppings! Add some pico de gallo, jalapeños, sour cream, and whatever else you love for this tasty snack.

Buffalo chicken dip

Yeah, you heard that right. You can make buffalo chicken dip without leaving your dorm, and for an added bonus, it’s easy! Grab two cans of chicken like this–I know it smells like cat food, but trust me on this. Shred it up and add it to a microwave-safe bowl with an 8-ounce block of cream cheese, one cup of ranch, and one cup of Buffalo sauce (I prefer Frank’s, but it’s up to you). Microwave for 3-ish minutes (check to make sure it’s heated all the way through), and enjoy!

Tortilla pinwheels

Now, this one is super simple! Mix together some cream cheese, sour cream, and any of your favorite seasonings (salt, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.). Spread the mixture into flour tortillas and add whatever else your heart desires–such as turkey, ham, or onions. Roll up the tortillas and wrap each in plastic wrap, sealing the ends by twisting. Let them chill in the fridge for a few hours before cutting and serving. 

Guacamole

Here’s a fun fact about me: I am famous in my family for my guacamole recipe. What they don’t know, however, is that “my recipe” is really Chipotle’s recipe. All you have to do is mash together 2 avocados (or more, depending on the size of the group), a pinch of salt, half of a jalapeño diced, about half of a red onion diced, two tablespoons of cilantro, and a little bit of lime juice to top it off. Even though Chipotle doesn’t call for it, I also add diced garlic because, well, I’m a garlic girl. This dip is delicious and may even make you famous for a homemade recipe too. For a more in-depth recipe, check this out.

Walking tacos

Here’s another one that might sound impossible to make from your dorm. But let me tell you, you can make almost anything from a microwave if you get creative. Check out this recipe for an easy way of cooking ground beef in a microwave. Make sure to check the color of the meat once it’s done, however, as using this technique adds the potential of an uneven cook. Once your meat is ready, make sure it’s seasoned well, and add it to your preferred chip style (I like Doritos). Lastly, add your favorite toppings, such as salsa, cheese, etc.. 

S’Mores dip

Want something sweet? I’ve got the perfect recipe for you! Line the bottom of a microwave-safe bowl with your favorite chocolate, and microwave until soft–just before it’s liquidy. Then, add marshmallows on top of the chocolate all around the top of the bowl and microwave one more time until the marshmallows start to puff up. Dip some graham crackers into this delicious treat, and enjoy!

Lucie is currently a freshman majoring in Film & Screen Studies at Pace University in New York City. She was formerly Editor-in-Chief of The Uproar (2020-21), an award-winning online publication based in Pittsburgh, PA.