Study Ablog: 7 Things You Should Know When Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Studying Abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you get lucky enough to do it, definitely keep these things in mind. Most importantly, immerse yourself in everything this other culture has to offer. 

1. Budget your money! Think twice about that Starbucks latte you are about to buy. Don’t forget about the money conversion that comes with living in another country. Not to mention the tons of fees you get hit with by your bank. Make sure you spend your money on things you really want to do, rather than just spending it aimlessly.

2. It’s okay to stay in at night while your friends go out. Don’t forget to take time for yourself. Studying abroad is completely different from vacationing, you have the opportunity to take a break or two and do something for yourself rather than constantly being on-the-go.

3. Buy a ton of laundry detergent. Since you are limited to only a portion of your wardrobe that means you are going to have to wash your clothes a lot. Expect to run out of clean clothes every week, and make sure to stock up on detergent and all other laundry essentials.

4. Invest in a good pair of shoes. Since you’ll be the tourist for once, you will be doing a ton of walking. You’re going to want to be comfy, so definitely get yourself a pair of shoes that won’t give you endless blisters.

5. You don’t need to spend every weekend traveling to other places. Don’t forget about the place you are actually studying abroad in! Take advantage of everything the city you are in has to offer before you start spending loads of money to travel elsewhere for 3 days at a time.

6. Take advantage of all the student deals. Everywhere has student discounts, all you need to do is flash your ID card. If you’re unsure, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

7. Try new things. This is the time to be adventurous! You are in a new country where no one knows your name or who you are. Step out of your comfort zone. Try new food, meet new people, say yes more, and just be open to everything.

Senior Communications major and Women and Gender Studies minor at Pace University who spends too much time researching celebrities and not enough on homework.
Her Campus Pace Contributor