The Second Presidential Debate of the 2016 Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The second presidential debate aired live from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri on October 9th with 66.5 million viewers tuning in to watch Hillary Clinton and Donald J. Trump attack each other on current and personal issues. 

Also referred to as a town hall meeting, citizens from St. Louis, whom are undecided voters, came to the debate with questions for both candidates. Questions from social media such as Facebook and Twitter were also utilized. Clinton and Trump had two minutes to respond to those questions, and then each received a follow up response. The various issues discussed at the debate were repealing Obamacare, lowering taxes, installing renewable energy, Islamophobia, as well as the underlying devotion candidates have to the American people.

Specifially, the discussion of leaked tapes of Trump exploiting women by Anderson Cooper, one of the moderators of the debate, spiraled the debate into frenzy. After Trump admitted his apology and once again stated it ’locker room banter’, Trump took a shot at Bill Clinton’s law practice and his various relationship with women. Clinton chose not to attack these claims made on her husband.

In addition, both candidates stated their policy to stop the war in Syria as this humanitarian crisis is brought to the world by social media. Trump disagrees with his running mate, Mike Pence, statement ‘for U.S. military strikes in Middle Easter Country’ as Trump’s main focus is to concentrate on defeating Isis with nuclear power with other surrounding nations such as Russia. Clinton won’t allow American troops in Syria to occupy land, as she does not think it’s a smart strategy. Instead, Clinton wants a no fly zone enacted and an investigation of the war crimes committed so far as are dead.

Then, an audience member asked whether or not the candidates would change the policies within US Supreme Court if elected. Clinton will keep ‘women’s right to choose’ and the marriage equality act. Trump said he has 20 people he wants to elect who would be fit for the position to fill Justice Scalia’s position, whom recently passed away in April.

However, the last question brought perspective to underlying issues in what matters most this election as both nominees had to say something positive about their opponent. Clinton noted that it was a fair question while stating she respects Trump’s children but doesn’t agree with anything he has said thus far. Trump thinks Clinton is a fighter and doesn’t give up but also doesn’t agree with her political campaign.

The last presidential debate will occur on Wednesday, October 19th from the University of Nevada in Las Vegas.

Hey everyone! My name is Ariana Gavriilidis. I am from a small town in New Jersey and I now reside in New York City! I am earning a Bachelor of Arts from Pace University in Communications with a Concentration in Media, Communications, and Visual Arts. I also have a minor in Arts and Entertainment Management. In my spare time I enjoy photography, working out, and seeing as many movies as possible! I am excited to be apart of Her Campus as writing has always been my passion. Make sure to check out my articles as well as my radio show, Winging it with Ariana, where I have new episodes every Tuesday! https://www.mixcloud.com/WIWARIANA/
Her Campus Pace Contributor