Career

Let’s Talk About Internships: From A Realistic Freshmen Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In today’s day and age, getting an internship is incredibly hard – especially as a freshman. It seems that every internship position requests previous internship experience. How am I supposed to get that experience when the core source of it is constantly rejecting those without it? For months, I struggled with this exact problem – I couldn’t for the life of me get a call back regarding a pending application. 

However, once I changed my outlook on the tedious application process, I quickly started getting calls and interviews regularly. In fact, within the past month, I have been offered every single position I have interviewed for (most with 30+ other applicants). So, how did I, as a freshman, become so successful in the art of internship applications? I’ll tell you. 

In the beginning, I was applying for internships that were–well, let’s be honest–impossible for me to get: SNL, Late Night, NBC News, etc. These are highly sought-after positions. As I kept getting rejection after rejection, I questioned what I could have done to be a better candidate. First was my age. They didn’t want a freshman. Second, I had zero experience. With thousands of other applicants, I had nothing to make me stand out. So, I took a step back and decided to lower my expectations…significantly.

Applying for hard-to-get positions is NOT a bad thing. In fact, it’s great. Even if you think you have no chance, it is good to get your name out there. Because who knows? Maybe they’ll remember seeing your name repeatedly every year and offer you the position your senior year. I continued to apply for these difficult positions on the side but simultaneously began focusing on positions that were more on par with my own experience and capabilities. And I ended up applying for 15+ positions. 

I focused more on small businesses and organizations in which my presence would be truly impactful. Let’s be real–an NBC internship is an amazing experience that connects people with great resources, but they don’t need you. NBC will live on with or without interns. I wanted to be in a position where my hard work would be needed and where an intern would be a real, contributing employee. Once I get experience like that on my resume, getting the more sought-after positions will be much more within reach.

After you submit your application, be patient. Some employers take weeks to reach out, while others simply take a few hours. If you get a call back, congratulations! This is not something to take lightly. Interviews always seem stressful on the surface, but they’re actually quite simple when you’re in the midst. Thirty-or-so minutes before the interview, check out their website. Interviewers are always impressed when you mention what they’re doing. It proves you’ve done an ounce of research.

Everyone has different interview skill levels. No matter what, just be respectful and interested. And above all else, be yourself. Employers don’t want to interview robots–they want to meet YOU. At the end of the day, the job application process isn’t fun for anyone. The employer is rooting for you. They are eager to fill that spot. So, don’t stress about it. You’re gonna be great.

Lucie is currently a freshman majoring in Film & Screen Studies at Pace University in New York City. She was formerly Editor-in-Chief of The Uproar (2020-21), an award-winning online publication based in Pittsburgh, PA.