This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In the first semester of my senior year, I went through the process of applying to graduate school. The process was full of heavy emotions, ranging from fear and uncertainty to excitement and anticipation. I was fortunate to have multiple professors mentor me through the process, answer all of my questions, and support me through the highs and lows. Now that I have made it through to the other side – and was accepted into the top program in my field! – I feel qualified to share what helped me through my experience for those about to enter the application process.

I Started Early

When I was considering graduate school, I began planning in the second half of my junior year. With time on my side,  I managed to offset the pressure and intimidation of the process.

I Identified Specific programs

Identifying the program I wanted to apply to was crucial. While this seems straightforward, many fields have different program offerings. Many can enter their undergraduate career as undecided and figure it out as they go along. Graduate school requires a clear path from the start. I made sure I had a solid idea of what field of study and type of degree I was seeking.

I did outside Research

I researched entrance exams that were required for the type of degree I wanted. With this, I built a clear idea of how long I needed to prepare – to study, to possibly test multiple times, and to guarantee scores will be shared in time. 

I Came up with a list of schools

I identified what schools I wanted to apply to, with a manageable number of applications being between three to six schools. Similar to the undergraduate process, it helped to identify what schools were a reach, safety, and desired. Here are a few ways I found schools:

• I asked my professors where they went
  • I visited the Pace Office of Prestigious Awards or Alumni Affairs
  • I considered schools recognized by my own field’s associations/organizations
I considered Important Factors

When thinking about schools, I considered the most important factors (aside from the type of program) to be price, location, time commitment, job opportunities, access to research, and internships.

I kept a Planner

This planner was dedicated to applications. In it I would list:

• Deadlines (priority and general)
  • A timeline to work on each component
  • What documentation was needed (i.e., letter of recommendation, test scores, transcripts)
I Sought Letters of Recommendation

As for letters of recommendation, I sought them sooner than later. Especially since professors may have been providing them for multiple schools and might have needed to do some re-writing. Most programs require two to four letters, which should be easily identified in the application requirements.

I Researched Financial Aid

I considered avenues of scholarship. I looked into federal and state financial aid, merit scholarships, private scholarships, and loans, specifically when those applications were also due. For example, if I wanted to apply for the Fulbright, the timeline would have been different from the traditional application process. This could also include waivers for application fees.

I drafted Writing Samples

I would always edit my writing samples before submitting them. I knew that many schools want to see your style of academic writing and that I could use an example from any point in my undergraduate career. And I never assumed an A paper was perfect; there is always room for improvement.

I Got Feedback

Finally, I found a second set of eyes to review my application before submission. Many faculty members at Pace University were more than happy to provide feedback.

Lastly, this process was exciting more than anything!

Madison Turunen is a student of the Class of 2023 at Pace University, on the New York City campus. She is double majoring in History and Peace & Justice Studies with minors in Women & Gender Studies and Politics. Someday she hopes to go into human rights advocacy. She is a huge activist and environmentalist, with a lean towards gender equality and peace-building. As a part of Her Campus, she has published articles on lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.