This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The air is turning crisper, the leaves are changing colors, the days are getting darker, and NYC socialites are swapping their Grey Goose sneakers for the iconic Stuart Weitzman thigh high boots. As of September 22, fall is officially here. In the age of progressing technology, fashion has become less of a hobby of the upper class, but more of a way of expression for all types of people. With apps like Pinterest, Instagram, and, more recently, Tik Tok, fashion trends have been much more prominent in society. Today, I will be breaking down the top 5 fashion trends I anticipate for the fall time. 

Shopping Sustainably

While high fashion still acts as the inspiration for most these trends, young girls are drawing much more inspiration from thrifting. Secondhand clothing apps such as Poshmark and Depop have seen a burst in activity, as more and more people are shopping sustainably. It is now trendier to shop sustainable and be more conscious about spending your money on clothes. Tik Tok has become a huge pioneer for this switch to sustainable fashion, as many creators make short videos on the best thrift stores in certain areas. 

Boots, Boots, Boots! 

From Dr. Martens to cowboy boots, boots have become a staple in any fashionista’s closet. While boots have always been a trend, the past few years there has been a bigger draw to thigh high suede boots. Recently, platform Dr. Martens and any sort of cowboy boots have become the most sought out style. Knee high boots have also become super popularized, and for a good reason. The silhouette of the boots gives girls of all heights more shape to their legs, while thigh high boots tended to carter largely towards taller girls. 

Big Pants, Little Shirt

Skinny jeans have slowly started to become frowned upon as looser styles of jeans become more preferable. Boyfriend jeans, straight leg, low-waisted, and boot leg jeans have now replaced the skinny jean craze. To pair with the big jeans, baby tees have come back in full force. Jesse Jo’s Deadly Doll Baby Tee has become highly sought out after, and someone I was able to get my hands on it. Any baby tees you can find from thrift stores have become the go to item to pair with the big pants. Throw on a long leather blazer and a pair of Dr. Martens and you have the perfect fall outfit.

Argyle & Sweater Vests

The fashion industry has definitely seen a greater pull towards earlier 2000s trends the past few seasons, with the return of certain prints and patterns such as cheetah, zebra, leopard. For fall time, argyle has become a highly desirable print. Finding an argyle sweater in the thrift store is like the equivalent of finding a pot of gold under a rainbow. While some of us have our dad’s closets to find argyle sweaters in, most girls rely on thrift stores and secondhand clothing apps. Sweater vests have also become the new sweater; paired with a button up or turtleneck, the combination looks ultra-chic and fall ready. 

Color Scheme

Fall is usually associated with colors such as brown, orange, and yellow. While brown isn’t usually many people’s go to color, there has been a widespread liking for brown this fall season. Many fashion shows have played with the color, trying to find the perfect shade. Brown boots, brown pants, brown sweater vests, anything brown this season is seen as a sign of understanding the fashion world. To go with brown, sage green has also become a popular color to style. Sage green cardigans and jackets have been huge best-sellers. The House of Sunny has incorporated sage green into their recent collection, and their sales have been boosting. Fast fashion companies such as Zara have rushed to make knock offs to carter towards being a more affordable option. 

Next time you will take a stroll down Fifth Ave, or down the brick streets of Soho, you will definitely see many people styling the trends in their own way! Draw some inspiration and create your next fall look! 

Hi! I’m Simar Kaur! I’m a freshman at Pace University!
Her Campus Pace Contributor