This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

After 14 years and 20 seasons, the Kardashians are stepping out of the reality TV show spotlight. Kim Kardashian announced the news last week on her Instagram, stating, “It is with heavy hearts that we’ve made the difficult decision as a family to say goodbye to ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians.’” 

This shocking announcement led many fans to speculate why the family would decide to step away from the show that made them who they are today. A source told ET, “There was no big reason why the family decided to end ‘KUWTK;’ it was a mutual decision. The kids who started the show now have their own kids and it’s getting very hard to film all together or get enough footage separately.” However, a lot of fans are not buying this. 

It has been rumored that the show is ending partially because the matriarch of the family, Kris Jenner, is joining Bravo’s hit reality television show, ‘The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills,’ in light of Denise Richards leaving the show. 

Some fans are also theorizing that Kanye West is partially to blame for this decision. Earlier this summer, Kanye West announced his run for President of the United States. Shortly after this announcement during a quite chaotic campaign rally. West said while discussing the topic of abortion, “My mom saved my life, my dad wanted to abort me. My mom saved my life. There would’ve been no Kanye West because my dad was too busy … I almost killed my daughter.” This, amongst other topics from his speech, sent fans and spectators into an uproar on social media. Kim’s response on her Instagram story requested “compassion and empathy,” at this time from fans while they try to help Kanye with his Bipolar disorder. The timing of this announcement and the announcement of the ending of KUWTK could conclude that Kim wanted to step back and focus on her husband and her children during this time.

Still, there is no denying that “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” changed reality TV and the world- for better or worse. The family made a lifestyle a multi-million dollar business. The Kardashians are always ahead of the game, and no matter what they decide to take on next, that will surely remain. 

Hi, my name Carly Scarborough and I am a communication studies major with a minor in digital media studies at Pace University in NYC. I have been a writer for Her Campus Pace for over two years now. I have also worked on both the editorial and the social media teams since I became involved in the organization. I love to write about entertainment, travel, and lifestyle.
Her Campus Pace Contributor