Album Review: Machine Gun Kelly’s “Tickets to My Downfall”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

On September 25th, Machine Gun Kelly dropped his latest album, Tickets to my Downfall, and it’s just amazing. Colson Baker is a lyrical genius!

The title track is one of my favorites on the album. It starts out slow, but speeds up by the end. I was running on the Brooklyn Bridge while listening to this album for the first time, and it gave me so much energy. Next is a song called “Kiss Kiss,” which is another upbeat, catchy tune that woke me up (it was 6 a.m. when I first heard this). The third song, titled “Drunk Face,” is a fun anthem with an awesome music video featuring MGK’s girlfriend Megan Fox.

Following “Drunk Face” is one of my absolute favorites, “Bloody Valentine.” This song came out a while ago, and over the summer it became one of the top 3 most-listened-to songs on my phone. I am in love with this song, and I would just play it on repeat in my car or with my headphones in 24/7. The following song features Halsey and is titled “Forget Me Too.” I listened to Halsey a lot in high school, and was excited that she and Colson made a song together. Their voices blend beautifully together, and the song is very meaningful.

The sixth song on the album is a collaboration with Trippie Redd,“All I Know.” This song is very catchy as well. I like that Colson has no filter in his songs and is not afraid to write about his struggles. MGK’s voice is just so unique and raspy- I love it. Then comes the song “Lonely,” about Colson’s dad who passed away. I’m not going to lie, this song had me nearly break down in tears on the Brooklyn Bridge. I really connected to the lyrics with this one, and it made me emotional hearing Colson sing about his sadness and grief. 

After “Lonely” comes “WWIII,” which is another cheery tune, similar to the title track. “WWII” is very short, but great nonetheless. Then comes probably my favorite part of the album: “Kevin and Barracuda” (Interlude). This features comedian Pete Davidson, who is Colson’s best friend. Hearing Pete Davidson’s laugh cured my sadness, raised my grades, brightened my day, and made me so happy. The boys were so cute being goofballs and making alien noises. Following that interlude is another one of my favorite songs, “My Ex’s Best Friend” feat. Blackbear. This song is so bright and catchy and is always stuck in my head. I love it so much. I adored hearing Blackbear and Colson sing together, and I really felt the lyrics. Another one of my absolute favorites is next; “Jawbreaker.” I probably listened to this song 100 times the first day I heard it- the lyrics are creative, catchy, and fun to sing.

After “Jawbreaker” is “Nothing Inside” feat. Iann Dior, with relatable lyrics and a great rhythm. Then comes a second interlude called “Banyan Tree,” which features Megan Fox. She asks Colson if he remembers the stuff they do together because he is often under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and he says “I drown out other memories just to keep those ones.” They had just met 4 months prior to when this was recorded, and they now have tattoos dedicated to one another. The way they talk about each other is so sweet, and is proof that true love does exist. They met on the set of the “Bloody Valentine” music video, and it was love at first sight. I love seeing them together, and this song was a heartfelt dedication to his girlfriend. The last song is another one that made me emotional, because Colson wrote it for his daughter Casie who was born when he was 18. The song is called “Play This When I’m Gone,” and it’s another one of my favorites because the lyrics are so touching. It makes me cry every time I listen to it, but lets listeners know that it is okay to cry.

Overall, this album is a masterpiece and I love it so much. I’m so proud of Colson and how far he has come in his musical journey. A few of these songs really touched my heart, while others make me want to jump up and down and are fun to sing at the top of my lungs. I can’t wait to see what he does next.

Melanie Bumpus is a freshman at Pace University majoring in Communication Studies (and fluent in Arrested Development quotes). She is either at a concert or watching 10 Things I Hate About You for the millionth time. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9551530/
Her Campus Pace Contributor