kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Healthy Habits to Kick-Start the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The start of a new semester is the perfect time to create new habits or improve new ones. Here is a list of five great habits to kick-start the new semester.

1. Eat Breakfast

Start the day off right by eating a healthy breakfast. Studies have shown that eating breakfast gives you more energy because it restores your glucose levels after sleeping and provides essential nutrients! Eating breakfast makes you less prone to overeat later in the day.

2. Get at Least 8 Hours of Sleep

Sleeping allows your body time to heal, so get some sleep and let your body do its work! It’s also been scientifically proven that getting a good night’s sleep improves your ability to learn new things and enhances your problem-solving abilities.

3. Exercise

Exercise releases endorphins which elevate your mood and are a natural painkiller. If you’re feeling stressed or anxious, taking a quick walk around the city or running on the treadmill can seriously help.

4. Keep Your Space Tidy

The environment you are in can really affect your mental health, especially if you already struggle with anxiety or depression. Coming home to a freshly made bed and a visible floor minimizes stress and allows you to focus more important things. A study at Princeton even found that clutter makes it harder to focus on a specific task.

5. Take care of your mental health!

Most importantly, take care of your mental health! Mental health is often viewed as less important than your physical health but that is far from the truth. Mental and physical health are equally important and play a major role in your overall well-being. Take time for yourself. No homework, no scrolling through Instagram, just self-care. Do a face mask, eat an apple, listen to music, watch a cheesy movie, and just chill. Your happiness is worth so much more than a perfect GPA or a promotion at work. Take care of yourself and everything else will follow.

i love my dog