This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The air is getting colder, the leaves are beginning to change colors, college students are now roaming downtown… that can only mean one thing; fall has begun in New York City. As someone who is now amidst their second fall in New York, I feel like I have a better gauge on how to properly enjoy and survive the fall time in the city. There are certain songs, places, and fashion staples that I have curated into a list of essentials for newbies to conquer their first fall in the city that never sleeps. 

1. Playlist

I love curating playlists for the seasons. For fall time, I tend to include more grunge and punk music. This year, some of my top songs for fall are “Criminal” by Fiona Apple, “The Man who Sold the Moon” (MTV Unplugged Version) by Nirvana, and “About a Girl” (MTV Unplugged Version) by Nirvana. Some artists I usually tend to listen to on heavy rotation in fall time are Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridges, and Arctic Monkeys. Folklore by Taylor Swift is an absolute must for wandering around NYC with no purpose but to listen to music and enjoy the beautiful scenes of New York. 

1. Fashion

Fall in New York means the fashion also shifts from fun summer looks to more layered looks. I think having a good quality leather blazer in your closet is a must for NYC fall. Having a couple turtlenecks to layer with sweaters and t-shirts is also a must. A pair of cowboy boots can help spice up your fall wardrobe and can be paired with skirts and dresses with thighs. L Train Vintage always has the best collection of sweaters and jackets, so be sure to stop by one of their many locations and get some new pieces for your fall wardrobe! 

1. Places

To see the more conventional naturesque scenes of fall, Central Park is a classic. The park has so many different hidden gems and nooks that you can explore for days. I personally also love walking through TriBeca in the fall time. It is a great place to stroll around and listen to music. For those dorming on campus, make sure to take advantage of Battery Park and Seaport in the fall time. Going to museums in the fall also is a great fall time activity. Students can purchase donation- based tickets at the Met and pay as little as $1 to get in. Other great museums to check out are: the MoMA, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Brooklyn Museum, and independent art exhibits in Chelsea and the Lower East Side. 

1. Food

As far as food goes, my favorite thing is going to coffee shops in the fall. Having a cup of warm coffee and a sweet treat just screams fall to me. One of my favorite coffee spots in NYC is MUD Coffee. MUD Coffee is also great for the fall because their signature color is orange, so the to-go cups could make for a great photo-op. Another great cafe is Pause Cafe in the Lower East Side. Not only do they have a great coffee menu, but they have an extensive food and smoothie menu that’s gentle on your wallet.  

Happy fall!

Hi! I’m Simar Kaur! I’m a freshman at Pace University!
Her Campus Pace Contributor