The “Me Too” Movement: Another Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

The “Me Too” campaign is a strong and very powerful movement that was created by an African American woman named Tarana Burke in 2007. She created the “Me Too” campaign so she can reach out to sexual assault survivors in underprivileged communities, and now, it has recently been taking over the internet and social media. The movement is significant in how it supports the women who have experienced sexual abuse and harassment not just in the workplace, but anywhere. Many women have kept quiet all this time, until now. The “Me Too” movement has shown millions of women everywhere that they are not alone, and has given them a voice to come forward. These women now realize that many others are experiencing the same pain brought on by sexual abuse and sexual harassment.

All women should be included in the movement, and none should feel left out, but unfortunately, there is a group of women that feel they are being left out. Women who work in various fields that are considered “less than appropriate” to certain people in our society often feel this way. For example, this includes women who work in the sex Industry, such as porn stars or nude models. Some of these women feel that the movement does not include women “like that”. As a result, these women feel left out because of the false notions held by others that any sexual abuse that occurs to them is justified and deserved.

If a woman is comfortable enough in her own skin to model in the nude, that does not mean that there would be an exception for her. When women take part in adult related films if she does not consent to a sexual act, she should be able to have a fair trial as well.  There should be no exceptions to the rule. The movement should support that woman just as much as any other woman.

Some of these women said that they don’t want to speak out publicly because they anticipate they’ll be shamed, or not believed because of their choice of profession. It should not matter what a women wears, how she acts, or even what she does for a living. It is her body, her choice and she should be able to come forward and to receive the justice that she deserves.

Briana Cuttino

Pace Pleasantville

Emily serves as Associate of Campus Community & Marketing here at Her Campus. She graduated from Pace University in 2020 with a degree in Communications. Emily served as a Campus Correspondent at Pace University, was a former intern for Her Campus' InfluenceHer Collective and was a part of Campus Trendsetters. In her spare time you can find her crafting, going to art museums and listening to Taylor Swift.