This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

When it comes to move-in day at school, it may feel like you’re moving into a new yet limited apartment. A big empty room with some furniture that you weren’t required to bring on your own. Unpacking the boxes of clothes and desk supplies could be a hassle, but I personally enjoy getting to put the finishing touches on the room that make it feel more “homey.”

As college students, most of the time, we’re living on budgets and trying to do the most while trying to do as little damage to our bank accounts. A lot of time, it doesn’t take much cash to make our rooms feel comfy and homey! If your room still looks empty and the walls feel blank and dull, here are some easy and budget friendly ways to liven up your room!

1. Throw Pillows

Throw pillows are the easiest way to add color and design to your bedding. You could have plain, solid color sheets and blankets, but by adding a couple pillows with your favorite quotes, pictures and patterns will definitely make a statement in your room. My personal favorite throw pillows are the furry ones and solid accent pillows of different sizes. Not only do they make your bed look bright, they also add that extra softness and squishiness we all love.

2. Personal Photos

Self-taken photos are the most personal and budget friendly decorations you can get your hands on, and, you can print hundreds of them. Prints at local pharmacies such as CVS cost about 29 cents per print and are usually ready to print in seconds. Adding photos of your family, best friends, pets, boyfriend or girlfriend and simply any photos that you are proud of really shows others your inner colors and gives off positive energy in the room. Framed pictures for your desk and on top of your dresser also act as accent pieces in the room and tie the room together even more!

3. Fairy Lights

Another personal favorite of mine are fairy lights. Fairy lights not only act as sophisticated nightlights for those of us who don’t like the complete darkness or for those who simply don’t want to sit in under the dull, white ceiling lights. Fairy lights add a pretty glow to the room, bring your walls to life, and add a gentle spotlight to your beautiful hung photos and posters.

4. FAKE plants

Of course, fresh green plants and colorful flowers bring a sense of life and “aesthetically pleasing” look to the room, as busy college students, it’s hard to take care of plants in a small dorm room for a while. Investing in small faux plants brings that same aesthetic to your room without the responsibility! Placing them by your window and on top of your desk or side table adds that pop of color to the room. And usually, faux plants and succulents are cheaper than real ones and you save money on the products they require to stay alive, can you get more shop savvy than that?

5. Storage

Depending on how much you need and want to spend on extra storage for your room, investing in some decorative storage units is an easy way to add some design to your room while serving as storage for your clothes, shoes, school supplies, laundry, etc. The best part about spending the money on some decorative storage is that you can reuse them every year! You can bring them back home on move-out day and use them at home or simply save them to use in your dorm when it comes time to move back in. I would suggest stores like Home Goods, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and Target to pick up budget friendly storage units, they’re reasonably prices and last all year round!

Everyone has their own personal style and taste when it comes to decorating. Some love to be over the top while others enjoy the art of being minimalistic. It doesn’t matter if your roommate has a certain “aesthetic” and has bedsheets to match the carpet on her floor and posters on her wall or if she has bare walls. Embrace your individual style and interests and make your corner your own!

Sofia Torio

Pace Pleasantville '21

Sofia is a senior Digital Journalism major at Pace University Pleasantville. On campus she is a dancer on the Pace University Dance Team. Sofia loves to travel and learn about different cultures around the world. In her spare time, she enjoys dancing, art, watching Netflix, and meeting friends for coffee!