alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Things Every Freshman at Pace University Should Do at the Beginning of the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Starting college and moving away from home all seems to be a lot for any 18-year-old. But to ease you into having the best year yet, here are 8 things that every freshman should do at the beginning of their college experience. 

1. Go out of your way to meet new people

It is move in day, you lug all your belongs up into your room, set everything up and then say good bye to your family. At first you will be upset, but after that it is time to meet people. The first thing every freshman should do is meet the people living on the same floor as you. You will be living with these people for the year, so, you might as well get to know all of them. It will make going to classes much easier because you will start to see more familiar faces. The people you meet in college are known to be the people you will be friends with for a lifetime. 

2. Go to office hours and get to know your professors

To make waking up for that 8am a little less painful and more enjoyable, you should get to know the person who is going to be teaching you for the semester. Also, when it comes time to apply for jobs after your senior year, you may want your professor to be the one who writes you letters of recommendation. If you do not have a relationship with your professor, then it is going to be a little tough for them to write you a letter of recommendation. Having some professors who think highly of you will certainly help when you are applying for your real world job. Not to mention your professor may have some connections that can help you out down the road. If your professor is teaching what you are majoring in, it is a good idea to keep them close because they will be able to help you out. But, that is only if you have a relationship with them. 

3. Sign up for tons of clubs

Get involved. You are living on campus so you need to be enjoying every moment of it. Getting involved in clubs is also another opportunity to meet some new faces. It can also be a good stress reliever. It will give you a break from the school work, and you can focus on your club. Not to mention joining clubs will look so good on your resume. The more you join, the better it will be for you.

4. Call your parents

They miss you and even though you may think this whole experience is hard on you, it is 10 times harder on them. They are letting go of their babies that they have raised and loved since the day you were born. For myself, being here living on campus makes me appreciate home and my parents that much more. Parents do everything for you so take the time out to call them and tell them how much you love and appreciate them. It will make their day.

5. Make time for yourself

This is key since you may feel overwhelmed and stressed with all the school work. Take 30 minutes out of your day and just do the things you like to do. Watch a show, do a facemask, take a nap, whatever makes you feel like you, do it. Self care is key when you may feel completely stressed about that exam you have to study for, or that essay you need to write. 

6. Go to the gym

Staying active is good for your mental and physical health. When you develop good habits, instead of the bad habits, it will lead to better health and better benefits for yourself down the road. Joining a gym can be pricey, so why not take advantage of the gym that is on campus for you to use for free? You can meet new friends who also enjoy going to the gym. Also, don’t you want to try and avoid that “freshman 15”? If so, hit the gym, it is good for you.    

7. Get to know your campus

This place is your home away from home, so you need to know every way around it. Also go into the town. Check out the Pleasantville Diner, take a walk around the town, there is so much to do on and off campus. For any incoming freshman, I would advise walking around seeing where everything is. 

8. Try new things

Be daring. Do whatever it is that you thought you would never try before. College is about finding yourself and new beginnings. Join a club you never would have joined before, talk to the person you would have never imagine yourself being friends with, do anything you never would have expected yourself to do.

This college thing may seem scary at first. Leaving your parents, doing everything for yourself, balancing classes and school work, but take a breath and try new things. You can do anything. The world is yours!

Maria DiZenzo

Pace Pleasantville '22

My name is Maria DiZenzo. I am from Connecticut and I currently attend Pace University. I am a Freshman and I am majoring in Psychology. My favorite food is sushi and I can not live without Hulu & Netflix.