This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Music has the ability to instantly change a person’s mood. It also has the ability to bring us back to a moment in time or a certain time period in our lives. Every once in a while, I love to find a fun, throwback jam playlist on Spotify to listen to. These classic songs always make me smile and I can’t help but ALWAYS sing along.

Listen to a few of these throwback songs to celebrate being reunited with your friends again and to help get into the groove and eventual grind that school has to offer. 

Count on Me: Bruno Mars

Release date: November 7, 2011

Bruno Mars always sets the mood, no matter what song or what album is it. This song specifically makes me think of my friends and how they are always there for me through everything, especially when I am super stressed with school.

Favorite line:

“If you ever forget how much you really mean to me,

Everyday I will

Remind you”

Breakeven: The Script

Release date: November 24, 2008

5th grade me was really getting into my feelings when this song was popular. To this day, this song still hits the feels and in addition has catchy lyrics and an unforgettable beat. It is easily relatable to anyone who has experienced heartbreak before. The same feeling you get when you get assigned another paper to write or another exam to study for.

Favorite line:

“Oh you got his heart and my heart and none of the pain

You took your suitcase, I took the blame”

I Don’t Wanna Be: Gavin DeGraw

Release date: September 1, 2003

I’m positive that when most people hear this song, they immediately are reminded of One Tree Hill, but for me, this song honestly reminds me to always be myself and never change for anyone. This song reminds me to keep striving for what I want for myself, no matter how difficult that may be (AKA my degree). 100% cliche, but something that is very important to live by!

Favorite line:

“Part of where I’m going is knowing where I’m coming from”

Good Riddance: Green Day

Release date: October 17, 1997

Good Riddance is a classic graduation song. It pretty much tells the story of one chapter of life ending and another starting. I like the message of this song because it reminds us that if something is ending, take the good parts of it with you through life. A fresh start to a school year means a new beginning so let’s celebrate! :)

Favorite line:

“Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road

Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go”

Chasing Cars: Snow Patrol

Release date: June 6, 2006

The meaning of this song is a beautiful one. I interpret it as asking a lover to stand alongside you (or lie next to you) against the world. For someone to be there with you through everything that life throws at you.

We all have those people in our lives that help us get through everything … give those people an extra tight squeeze while listening to this song. 

Favorite line:

“Forget what we’re told

Before we get too old

Show me a garden that’s bursting into life”

How to Save a Life: The Fray

Release date: September 13, 2005

The Fray is known for having the ultimate chill jams but How to Save a Life is definitely their most famous one. This is one of those songs that everyone knows and can sing along to. It hits home because of its very important message and catchy lyrics. 

Favorite line:

“Let him know that you know best

Cause after all, you do know best

Try to slip past his defense

Without granting innocence”

I’m Yours: Jason Mraz

Release date: February 12, 2008

We all have that one person in our lives that we melted for when we met them and we will remember them for the rest of our lives. That person who you instantly fell in love with and you were all theirs from the start.

No? That’s just me? Ah anyway … this song is sure to make you relax in the midst of all the stress.

Favorite line:

“I tried to be chill but you’re so hot that I melted

I fell right through the cracks

And now I’m trying to get back”

Home: Phillip Phillips

Release date: May 23, 2012

This former American Idol star sings about making somebody feeling comfortable at all times and about being home. For many of us, we consider our own university home more so than our actual hometowns. Celebrate being home at your school and with your best friends with this song. 

Favorite line:

“Hold on, to me as we go

As we roll down this unfamiliar road”

Hey, Soul Sister: Train

Release date: August 9, 2011

Every single song Train has is clean, fun and easy to sing along to. I don’t know anybody who hasn’t heard Hey, Soul Sister at least once in their lives so I couldn’t help but include it. Plus, what can beat the calming sound of ukulele?  

Favorite line:

“Your sweet moonbeam, the smell of you in every single dream, I dream

I knew when we collided, you’re the one I have decided who’s one of my kind”

Tongue Tied: Grouplove

Release date: September 2, 2011

Who can deny how catchy this jam is? There is never a time that this song can’t cheer you up. Whether you’re sad, excited, stressed or tired, this song is sure to hype you and make you scream along to the lyrics.

Favorite line:

“Take me to your best friend’s house

I loved you then and I love you now”

Stolen Dance: Milky Chance

Release date: September 7, 2012

This song is a little more unknown and lowkey but I still love it. The chill vibe of the song will definitely set the mood and keep you calm through all the studying. Honestly, you can’t help but get up and dance.

Favorite line:

“I want you by my side

So that I never feel alone again”

Viva La Vida: Coldplay

Release date: June 12, 2008

This is a chill song that everyone knows. The orchestra featured in the song plays beautifully and completely makes the song what it is. It immediately makes me feel much better and brings me back to state of tranquility. Perfect for when the stress levels get too high!

Favorite line:
“Shattered windows and the sound of drums

People couldn’t believe what I’d become”

Heather Kenney

Pace Pleasantville '22

Heather is a junior Nursing major at Pace University Pleasantville. She is a dancer on Pace's Dance Team and she is from the shoreline of Connecticut. In her free time, Heather loves going to the beach, taking long drives and consuming way too much coffee.