Heartwork: The Semester’s First Open Mic Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

The Green Bean Coffee Shop was bursting at the seams this Tuesday night. Was it students trying to get their caffeine fix before starting the homework grind? Possibly. But more likely it was spectators, friends, and supporters of the arts coming through to watch (or participate!) in this semester’s first Green Bean Open Mic Night!

Ashley Alexander (freshman) reciting a poem.

While various Oxy organizations routinely host Open Mics, this event was special for a number of reasons. Senior Henry Dickmeyer introduced us to the Occidental Spoken Word Team, a group of five students who are preparing to travel to Virginia Commonwealth University this March and participate in the College Union Poetry Slam Invitational (CUPSI), a nation wide competition featuring college spoken word teams from across the county. The team, led by Henry, put on the Open Mic Night in order to raise awareness and money for their upcoming trip.

Claire Tolman (junior) and Oliver Benzera (junior) performing a song.

The event, aptly named “Heartwork” in reference to its proximity to Valentine’s Day, featured performances that paid homage to love, heartbreak, and… global warming? The event was a hit, with a myriad of talented poets and musicians, and an overwhelming amount of support from the audience. Don’t have a date this Valentine’s Day? That’s ok! The Spoken Word Team will be your sweetheart!

Sophomore at Occidental College. Critical Theory and Social Justice Major.
I am an aspiring blogger/instagrammer/vine star from sunny Southern California. I have a passion for crafting, crocheting and Disneyland!