This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

This past week, I was talking to a classmate, and we both agreed that sometimes living at college can feel like you’re living in a little bubble. It is so easy to become preoccupied with the stress of school. All of a sudden, classes seem to be getting harder week by week, and it is hard to imagine how everything is going to get done in a timely fashion. Panic seems to be the common emotional state.

In times like this, I think it is important to gain a different perspective when you feel overwhelmed. Of course, it is important to take school seriously and to try your best in all that you do, but it is also important to remember there is also an outside world apart from the Oxford College cocoon.

Other people are facing problems just like you, and quite frankly some of the issues are significantly more detrimental than a poor test score. This article is not meant to diminish the problems that students face, but rather to encourage current students and offer a new frame of mind.

Disappointment and not meeting the mark is just an aspect of life, but keeping it all in perspective is what I find the most challenging. When you find yourself overwhelmed, just remember to take a step back and evaluate the scale of the problem that you face. Things might not be as bad as they seem after all.

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!