Spoiler Alert: The College Experience is Not a Dream, at Least Not For Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

My hometown’s demographics are 99% Hispanic heritage, and one of the reasons I decided to move to a diverse college was to understand other cultures. I wanted a broader aspect of the world and believed that cross-ethnic friendships were the best way. Emory University’s students represent several cultures, religions, and ethnicities and I have made many impacting relationships here. As we shared our experiences, I found many similarities, as well as differences. I was aware of the obstacles I faced that others didn’t. Towards the beginning of my semester, I faced racism by one of my peers. My friends and I, all of Hispanic heritage, had been waiting for two hours for a shuttle to take us back to our college from the city. Everyone on the shuttle placed their feet on the seats, preventing us from sitting and kicking us off the bus. Between the four of us, we had to split the cost of a $50 Uber. The Uber arrived simultaneously with the shuttle and one of the girls who had covered a seat called to us, “Hello.” We turned and were obviously upset, and she then went ahead and called to us in Spanish as if we didn’t understand.

I learned that I should not have to tolerate any form of segregation or feel like I don’t belong. When I first heard my peers’ stories, about how their parents are doctors, or their trips to Europe, I couldn’t help but feel left out. However, I gained nothing by feeling at a disadvantage for being in an institution where money and social status were taken for granted. I was motivated to come here for the education and my motivation for success. I wanted to break the status quo and set the path for future generations in my family. College is possible, and even if your school doesn’t offer the support, it’s all in your head. The day that I started seeing Emory University as MY school was the day I took ownership for earning my acceptance here.

Although there are programs that hope to support first generation, FGLI students, the only thing that gets pointed out in those meetings is how miserable students feel. For example, at the last meeting someone mentioned how students go home for spring break and work instead of making last minute trips to Cancun. Instead of helping students find support, the meetings simply highlight the disadvantages and offer no solutions. I’ve learned that to find true support, a student must simply trust themselves. Trust that they are capable of adapting to the environment, that their experiences are humble yet worthy, and that they came here for a reason. The same reason that brought them to apply to college, to yearn for a career, and to dream of a future is the motivation they need to remind themselves that the struggle is worth it.

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.