If I Could Write a Letter to You II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Before long, it was 11:30 already. Students lined up quickly and quietly for lunch. You stood in the middle of the line, fiddling with the lunch-box in your hands. I walked along with the line, side by side. While going through the hall way, you pulled my clothes slightly:

“Could you please sit by me during the lunch?” You looked at me with expectations. I nodded and gave you a warm smile.

Then, you were curious about where I was from. You were glad to hear that I came from China. I was impressed by the knowledge that you were familiar with China.

“Wow, how do you know so much about China?” I felt surprised.

“My mom said that she likes children who love reading. I read a lot during my free time,” you replied.

“What about you? Aren’t you an American?” you confused me. I spent almost 24 hours on the plane to come here. Time and space staggered during the flight. I felt like I was lost in the vortex od cosmos. I was pretty sure that America was not near China.

“Russia. That’s my homecountry. My sister and I were adopted there. Originally, the couple chose to leave after they saw us. But, fortunately, they came back, because the flight was delayed. I think that if, one day, I could take a plane by myself, I will never complain about flight delay. Now, they are my parents! Remember the method that I used to do problems? That was taught by my mom! She is really good at math.” The tone was happy and proud. It was most likely that you had forgotten about what you had said to me. You still had the urge to say something but was forced to stop, for you were afraid that Miss Grace would reprimand you for talking again. I could sense a grateful heart while you were saying those sentimental scenes. How could you be this kind-hearted and optimistic? I started to doubt whether you had any actual seamy side in your heart. You could not be the true angel, could you? Normally, there should be bitter and sorrow in the event you mentioned. Why didn’t I perceive any?

Once at lunch, some students told me that one of your classmate, Bradley, refused to eat lunch, because his chocolate bar was grabbed by another girl. He gazed at her in anger, with his clenched fist and blushed face. Out of shyness and moral code, he didn’t plan to hit the girl. He chose a silent way to vent his dissatisfaction. To solve the problem, I went to the front desk, in the hope that I could get another one. Nevertheless, I found out that each student should only get one share of chocolate. You happened to notice what I was trying to deal with. Next minute, you came straight to him and offered him a big bar of chocolate. A surprised looking appeared on his face. Later, Bradley pushed away the chocolate bar.

“No.” He rejected your kindness.

“I have more! Just keep it.” You squeezed the chocolate bar back into his hand. After a moment, he looked up to you with the watery, green eyes, as if he was trying really hard to choke back tears.

“Thank you, Arthur.” He expressed his thanks in a low voice. You smiled at him amiably.

To be continued…

Hello, everyone! Currently, I am a sophomore in the Oxford College of Emory University and I enjoy my life a lot! I am so glad that I am able to share my thoughts with you here. If you have anything to comment on my articles, please contact me. Here is my email address: liyuge19897@gmail.com. I am really happy to exchange ideas with my lovely readers.
Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.