This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

At this point in the year, we have all experienced the wonderful Oxford tradition: Hell Week. This is a week in the semester where it seems that every assignment, paper, and test falls within a few days of each other. For the especially lucky, sometimes this means that you have both a busy academic and extracurricular week. Students usually have more than one of these weeks throughout the semester. Hell Week always leaves us wondering: why does everything always fall at the same time? How am I going to make it through? Oxford is already a stressful environment, where on a good week you are still getting less than 7 hours of sleep. Hell week can lead to practically no sleep, no social interaction, and little to no substantial meals. So, how can you make it through Hell Week?

Unfortunately, I have had two substantial Hell Weeks this semester so far. Last week, I had one test, two midterms, a paper, and two writing assignments due. Plus, on top of this, there were club meetings and RA responsibilities. I honestly thought I wasn’t going to make it through to see the weekend. Luckily, I pulled through. This week got me thinking about what we can do to alleviate some of the stressors of Hell Week, and how to maximize self-care throughout the week. I know that self-care may not be up to par, but hopefully it is more than the typical hell week.

The thing that I really try to remember, is that at some point— sleep will be more helpful than studying. As hard as it is to go to sleep with a test the next day, getting a decent amount of sleep will always be more beneficial.             

As busy as you may feel, there is nothing wrong with taking a 10-minute break to say hi to a friend or calling a family member. Studying for hours straight will wear you out much quicker. If you are someone who prefers alone time to recharge, then make sure you take some time to sit and do something you enjoy for a few minutes or take a walk around the Quad.             

Speaking of the quad, it is a great place to study! In general, a change in scenery while studying can be really beneficial.  Just getting up and moving around or getting fresh air can help you feel completely different while studying.

I definitely recognize that all of these things will not make a Hell Week better, but paying attention to self-care can only make the week go smoother. The most important thing to do is look forward to the weekend and know you will make it through regardless of what happens. Come Friday, you can throw on sweats, make some hot chocolate with your best friend, and forget that Hell Week happened. 

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.