This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

One of my least favorite parts of the semester is coming up: midterms week. Although it isn’t the most exhausting part of college, it definitely ranks higher on the “f*ck this” list. It’s busy, it’s stressful, and during the fall semester in particular, it always lands on my birthday (like, come on!). With all this being said, there are certainly ways I’ve been able to lessen the stress of midterms week that have been mostly effective.

Remember: Grades aren’t everything.

This is one of the most difficult things I have to remember. My grades don’t define me. At the end of the day, a grade really is just a number. This doesn’t mean I’m going to purposely fail my exams: I am going to put in as much effort as I can mentally handle. If I do get a grade I’m not satisfied with initially, though, it won’t be the end of the world. I’ll feel what I need to feel and push through, doing my best to do “better” next time.

Meditate, then meditate a little more. 

I think meditation is one thing I’ve found a huge appreciation for in the last year. Even just meditating for a minute or so can be a very beneficial reset, especially because a lot of my midterms are writing-heavy. Being able to sit back and take a deep breath before diving back in can help me recenter my mind and prepare to put in an effort I’ll be proud of later.

Make time for yourself.

This is probably the most difficult of all three. During midterms week, it can really feel like there is zero time to do anything but prep for and take exams. Daily, I set aside at least two hours to do things that’ll make me happy and recharge my battery. I know that in my third year of school I deserve to be happy while getting an education, and exams are not something to sacrifice that happiness for. Despite it being difficult, finding the balance between academics and mental wellness has made my college experience more enjoyable in the end.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.