This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Black Mirror’s ‘San Junipero’ has not only become a fan favorite over the past year, but it is now a two-time Emmy winning work of art. I really could go on and on about how this is the Netflix series’ best episode ever to date, but instead of talking about how much this beautiful masterpiece made me cry, I’ll talk about how much it means to the LGBTQIA community.

With its breathtaking cinematography and interracially queer narrative about two women falling in love, this episode is nothing but heartfelt. Plus, everybody loves a good 80’s themed love story with some Belinda Carlisle on the soundtrack. It definitely proved heaven is a place on earth when it won both Emmys it was nominated for. Charlie Brooker, writer and creator of ‘San Junipero’, took home the Emmys for Outstanding Television Movie and Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series.

The 2017 Emmys were all about the lovely lesbians of television and the world was here for it. ‘San Junipero’s’ wins in particular though, was truly a big win for the LGBTQIA community. ‘San Junipero’ is unique in that it represents the LGBTQIA community rather well without including any harmful tropes, like bisexual women not being faithful or able to be trusted, for one…and, oh yeah, it’s main characters, Kelly and Yorkie, actually end up living happily ever after together.Most gay couples in TV or film usually face an inevitable tragedy, or are just there to further the plot lines of the film’s straight characters. But not in ‘San Junipero’. In ‘San Junipero’ love prevails.

In his acceptance speech, Charlie Brooker said, “’San Junipero’ was a story about love and love will defeat hate, love will win. But it might need a bit of help.”

As a bisexual woman myself, it was overwhelming to see the immense support it got at the Emmys and continues to get now. This representation of the LGBTQIA community is one that truly deserves to be honored and respected by gays and straights everywhere. It is multifaceted, diverse, and a tearjerker to say the least. Brooker has set a prideful precedent and there is no doubt that other creators will take after.

The Emmy winner may not have only just taught Hollywood a thing or two about storytelling, but may have also just taught the world a thing or two about love and respect.

Hey, it's AJ! When I'm not writing up a press release, I'm usually writing up an article of some sort. PR major, English minor
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.