ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Practicing Positive Coping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

There are no pause, fast-forward or rewind buttons in life. Things are constantly happening, and sometimes unexpectedly. In stressful situations, it can be difficult to keep your head above the water and continue to push on. Honestly, I haven’t handled stress healthily. I’m always telling myself, “I’ll do a better job (coping) next time,” but the same cycle repeats.

In my case, my mind shuts down. I can’t process the world around me and my body reacts by panicking. I know I overreact, but it seems unavoidable. I excuse myself by saying, “I can’t help it.” However, I know I can help it. It’s just going to take time and effort.

Here are the steps I’m going to take to improve my coping skills and hopefully you can use these too the next time you start to panic: 

Step 1: Believe in yourself

How are you supposed to improve if you don’t feel like you deserve to be okay? Everyone makes mistakes. They’re what enable us to grow. Beating yourself up and losing confidence will only set you back farther. Remind yourself that you’ve survived worst days and, “This too shall pass.”

Step 2: Identify the problem

If you don’t know what’s wrong, you can’t do anything about it. What is the source of your stress or anxiety? For me, the things that overwhelm me the most are unfamiliar situations or times when I feel like I don’t know where to begin. What has triggered a reaction out of you in the past? Is this similar to that time? Are you thinking realistically about the problem, and if not, can you get to a place where you can rationalize the situation?

Step 3: Identify the solution

Is the problem something that can be fixed right away or is it going to take time? Some traumatic experiences will never go away, but should just be accepted because they’re in the past. Think about the immediate actions you can take to stop yourself from becoming irrational. This may be to remove yourself from a space, get some alone time, or pick up a book or a different kind of distraction. If you are somewhere you cannot get away, write down your feelings and work through them to develop a plan.

Step 4: Take action

It’s time to implement your solution! This can be the hardest part because fear can hold us back. Solutions can involve difficult conversations, breaking habits, and taking time out of our busy schedules. However, it is worth it to lift a burden off your shoulders because less stress will allow us to perform better in our daily lives. Not to mention, you feel better when your mind is in the right place.

Step 5: Move forward

Once you have solved or overcome a particular problem, don’t find new stress in it. Focus on the good things that you got out of it, like a healthier lifestyle or mended relationships. Also, just because something has been fixed, doesn’t mean you can stop working on it. Continue to learn and grow from your mistakes to prevent negative emotions in the future.

Carlie is a sophomore American Studies major and Economics minor at SUNY Oswego in Central New York. She writes for fun, but would love the opportunity to have it as a career. She also enjoys reading, food, music, running, and anything that will make her laugh. Follow her on Instagram: @carlieevans3
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!