This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

In the past year, public relations (PR) has managed to weave its way into my life, evolving from a simple discovery down to the core of my aspirations. My initial encounter with this field was through a new friendship with one who is majoring in PR. As they introduced me to what their major entails, I discovered a realm that resonated with my existing interests– social media management, video creation, brand cultivation, reputation building, and social networking. I was excited to begin a rewarding and fulfilling career path.

PR didn’t just align with my skills– it amplified them. I have always been on the lookout for new creative outlets, so I’m beyond grateful that life has begun to conspire in my favor. Soon after my discovery of the field arose, even characters in my favorite TV shows, such as “Emily in Paris” and “Schitt’s Creek,” portrayed individuals thriving in PR. Their experiences mirrored the world I yearned to step into. 

However, as excited as I was, fear surged as I realized this passion bloomed so late in my college career– I was already a senior. I believed that no PR firm would hire me when they noticed I majored in music. Yet, thanks to networking with Oswego alumni, I was reassured by seasoned PR professionals that in this particular field, it’s not solely about the degree hanging on the wall, but the hands-on experience gained over time– and I have a lot of it.

With my redeemed confidence and determination, I am eagerly anticipating the post-graduation move to the bustling cityscape of New York City. It is there that I hope to turn this dream into reality. My vision is to contribute to and grow within a well-established PR firm, like Sunshine Sachs or Edelman, and immerse myself in the world of strategic communication. I am hopeful to spend the day at the office, working closely with colleagues on carefully crafted campaign narratives and molding reputations before coming home to my apartment with south-facing windows each afternoon to my significant other and American Akita, Yuki. 

When I’m not just fulfilling a career choice, but embodying a lifelong dream– one where PR isn’t just a profession but an integral part of my being– I will happily clink my glass of champagne and say, “cheers.”

I’m Faith (she/her), a student at SUNY Oswego who is excited to start my Public Relations career in NYC!