This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I wrote a long, long letter to the moon.

It glows silver against the midnight sky. 

I don’t know why I wrote it because the moon is too far away for the mailman to deliver it.

But I did it anyway, hoping that if the moonlight felt my sincerity, it’ll deliver it for me. 

I wonder, what’s the stamp-age on a letter this long?

Would I be able to accomplish sending it to the moon? Would I be able to reach the moon from where I am, feet placed on the earth? 

And if the impossible were to happen, 

would the moon recognize that its glow gives me light, when all I see is darkness? 

That, when I feel like the earth is going to cave under me, 

and I’m underwater, suffocating. 

That you give me solid ground and breathe air into my lungs 

But I realize then that if the moon can lend me its moonlight from 238,900 miles away and  lighten up the abyss I feel inside, maybe my letter can travel through space and land in her hands. 

I looked out the window today, staring up at the moon and it was blinding, 

rejuvenating, 

and comforting,

as if the moon was trying to communicate with me.
 “Thank you.”

Carla Borbon

Oswego '23

Carla is a Creative Writing major and a Journalism minor at SUNY Oswego. She was born and raised in the Bronx and considers books and tv shows her best friends. From reading books like Percy Jackson and the Maze Runner Trilogy to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and more, her love for writing blossomed from there. She wants to become an author but as she grows older, what she wants to do became blurry like her glasses on a rainy day. So here she is, with a kitten named Minnie and glasses wipers, trying to find her way.