freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

To Know Her is to Love Her — A Poem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

To know her is to love her

in the woods where the golden streets are actually green,

and the sun filters onto her sleeping face,

and the only sounds are the birds and our breathing

To know her is to love her

in a winter storm when my grip on the wheel and her grip on my thigh tighten,

and she promises me that we will make it home safely tonight

To know her is to love her

in that coffee shop downtown with the open mic,

where we sit and read books and drink coffee that bites back

To know her is to know her forgiveness and understanding

To know her is to have been graced with her kindness

To know her is to know her soft touch as it caresses the bloody caverns around your heart that she holds in her hand as she promises not to rip it out of your chest

To know her is to believe that when she says forever, she means it

To know her is to know, with every fiber of your being, that even at her worst

she is love. 

To know her

is to love

Her. 

Helena is a Communication and English double major here at SUNY Oswego. She enjoys live music (she has been to over 100 concerts in 6 years), sweater weather, and social justice activism. She loves to perform on and work off-stage of musical theater productions, and is also an avid animal rights activist. Upon graduation, Helena hopes to work in the Non-Profit sector to effect direct change in the lives of people around her, with specific interest in Women's Health and LGBTQ+ Issues.
Jordyn is a Biology major with a minor in creative writing at SUNY Oswego. She hopes to open a rehabilitation center for wildlife in the future. She's very passionate about animals and spreading awareness for animal rights. She also enjoys drawing and painting.